West Coast Whistle

S

Smoke2k3

Im workin on a beat that has kind of a west coast vibe 2 it and I need a good whistle not a regular "human whistle" I mean like the sharp synth soundin whistles like in some of Dre's old ****. Does anyone know where I can get it or how 2 make it? Any info would be appreciated.

I think Dre used a Minimoog to make those whistles.

The secret is to use the "portamento" or "porta" feature on your synth to make it slide to the next note at a certain speed instead of just cutting straight to it.

Thanx I know about the "porta" even tho I don't really know how 2 use it, I've messed with it in FLStudio but I was tryin 2 find what's the best synth or sound 2 start with. Thanx again.

ONe of the VSTs included with Cubase SX has a preset called Gangsta Whine.. (I think it's hte A1).... It's the high pitched synth whistle like in old snoop tracks..

Ahh good ol gansta rap :-) Back when rappers where poor, running form the cops, and jacking cars :) None of this bull sh** about rolling in escalades and having $1,000,000 but no girl.
:rolleyes:

ya like rayne said. thats when the gangstas could back they **** up. they wasnt fakes. they did carry them glocks.

you mean wormy leads?

try the high end of a bass patch, then use the note bend. adjust the bass patch to your liking, or try a synthy lead or solo string. I noticed if you use notes: g,d#, c you can replicate some dre tracks.

Old School Dre Whistle

Yo i was searchin 4 that same unique sound too!! Somethin that sounds really great is the Dreamstation Dxi in Fruity Loops. That works really well and I can get that old school vibe everytime i use it. Its porta is unbelievable. Check it out sometime

AHAHA Wow

I was looking for Minimoog programming tips (I am reviewing a minimoog emulation Pulsar device) and guess what came first: this FP thread!

:) FP FOREVER

mano 1 said:
AHAHA Wow

I was looking for Minimoog programming tips (I am reviewing a minimoog emulation Pulsar device) and guess what came first: this FP thread!

:) FP FOREVER
Mano, are you looking for programming tips itselves, or are some Mini patch exemples good as well ? I'd have to search but I definitely have some basic Minimoog patch settings (.pdf and/or .jpg) on my hd. And a very interesting one is a bass patch sheet from Portishead (token ages ago from their site). You can't find it anymore on the homepage now (although the site hasn't been renewed for years !! :( ). Let me know if want some of them.

i guess they dont have time to renewed it...
smileypersistenceofmemory.gif

Rayne said:
ONe of the VSTs included with Cubase SX has a preset called Gangsta Whine.. (I think it's hte A1).... It's the high pitched synth whistle like in old snoop tracks..

:rolleyes:

I never bothered to check the A1 out but if so, then it's a remade MDA JX10 which had that same sound.

Edit:

It's the JX16 with that sound, which I never bothered with and I barely noticed it's the same as the JX10 with a new GUI and a few more things on it.:D

Last edited:
can someone help explain how to adjust the porta in Dreamstation DXI in the fruityloops. What patch number do i use? I am getting pretty close. I just cannot get the chords to flow smoothly into eachother. thanks

u can also use the 3x osc to make the old "west coast whistle" but you gotta tweak it

DVST8T said:
can someone help explain how to adjust the porta in Dreamstation DXI in the fruityloops. What patch number do i use? I am getting pretty close. I just cannot get the chords to flow smoothly into eachother. thanks

There should be an actual knob that says "porta" above it and you twist it to the right to increase... It is under the MISC label and the third knob to the left of the main level output knob.

Back