WAVEFORM change????

Dennis1990

I was wondering is there ANY way to change a waveform while its played???

For example:

I play a one "long" note and the sound is a triangle waveform then it changes from the triangle waveform to a Sine waveform?

I really wanna get that noise you hear as it changes waveforms

Like this if it makes any sense..

^^^^^^^^-----------

triangle^ to Sine ^

that's some fancy wavetable manipulation and cross-fading you want to be doing: i.e.the two exist and are played side-by-side and you cross fade from one to the other

there are other ways to do this where you create custom wavetables, but you would probably spend 100 times as long on programming it to achieve what you are looking to do vs the simple cross-fade from a triangle to a sine

Synthmaster and serum both do this, but it's not really that great.

You could also just crossfade using an envelope, LFO or automation clip assigned to the volume of two oscillators (one sine, one triangle).

There are also some (actually, probably plenty) synths that have continuous osc shape controls (as opposed to discrete osc shape values). I'm not sure what "that noise you hear when it changes waveforms" is...because there isn't one. You just get some waveform shapes that are somewhere between, say, a saw and a square, which sounds quite a bit less magical than it may appear. Crossfading isn't quite the same thing, but worth trying, of course.

I think he's referring to that rough sound you get when you use certain wavetables, that don't crossfade between different waveforms, but actually shapes the waveform as you go from one waveform to the other rather than blending the 2 of them.

The synth Sytrus can do this, but you can't automate those faders, so you'll have to record the take and tweak them manually.

But you might as well go with regular wavetables that crossfades, since sines and triangles are a bit similar in the shape, giving it no special "noisy" sound. If you want that noisy/rough effect, you might want to shift between a triangle and a sawtooth instead, or even just do regular PWM.

I think he's referring to that rough sound you get when you use certain wavetables, that don't crossfade between different waveforms, but actually shapes the waveform as you go from one waveform to the other rather than blending the 2 of them.

Well, I think - with my limited understanding of wavetables - what happens is more or less something like "blending" adjacent waveforms with each other as you scan through them. But yeah, you can get all sorts of rich-in-timbre sounds out of them - mainly because the waveforms in those 'tables aren't your usual vanilla waveforms like a triangle or sine (because that's simply not going to sound very interesting in the way the OP is suggesting).

Xfer's Serum and the new Codex from Waves might be worth looking into as well.

you could use a 3d wavetable with separate indices for different waveforms and use that to create the transformation - it is pretty much slam dunk though - one moment you are using triangle the next you are using sine with no real subtle transformation beyond what the amplitude is at that moment in the process. Wavetable length would need to be above project sample rate for accurate reproduction

Lots of choices depending on the synthesis method you are using. But all incorporate the technique using an envelope for this which usually sweeps from the maximum to the minimum (or from one point to another).

FM, PM, Wavetable, Vektorsynthesis, Additive (not FM) and some VA ones that use eg Oscillator waveshaping. They all should be capable of doing this "per voice" and within the oscillator section.

But the easiest way would be: use a lopwass filter on a triangle. Fully closed you will get a sine wave. Long sweep = long morph from triangle to sinewave. You can also use a saw wave for this. Just don´t start fully open but somewhere in between (mostly pretty close to "fully closed").

Then you can try to waveshape a sinewave on your own. But most synths waveshaper comes as an FX and acts global and that brings some problems when you wanna play chords. Mostly good for monophonic stuff.

Those are the ones popping into my mind.

Cheers
Sebastian

if you use a lot of distortion on a sine it becomes a sort of a squarish triangle sound so maybe automating the mix level of distortion might achieve a similar effect. another thing you could try is using a triangle wave to modulate the pitch of the sine then set it to a very fast speed and automate the speed & depth of it.

Back