Want to take a dive into R&B beatmaking

Loco Zoe

Hey I've want to do a r&b / hip hop ish album by the beginning of the year. I wanted to know some tips and music theory of R&B (Tempos, sound selections, rhythm patterns, etc). I ve been doing music since 09 and mostly been doing Hip-Hop (mostly influenced by memphis) with heavy pads, pianos, rapid percussion, and heavy 808. So i would love to get a guide into R&B

Loco Zoe - iTunes Spotify Tidal Deezer Play Store and More.

Just listen to R&B... pull up a track in your daw and tap tempo it to find the tempo. experiment with different plugins to find sounds you like or sound simliar to sounds you've heard in other R&B tracks, listening to music and dissecting it is a good way to learn. Most people copy what they hear until they develop they're own sound

The most important thing about R&B and often the biggest hurdle is the type of chord progression.
You will most definitely need to learn extended chords, especially minors e.g. Bbmin9th, Emin9th. Also half diminshed and borrowed chords are needed.

This is an older video

Have great sex before or even during producing. I joke, but it's true.. good r 'n b isn't complex musically and can go in a lot of directions.
It's all about setting the right mood, building a bit of tension/drama and leaving plenty of room for the vocalist(s) to shine.

Back