want to start making trax...not sure what to buy

supafly

Ive been spinnin for about 6 yrs and now would like to start makin my own trax....but Im not sure what to buy.
I mainly spin getto house (dirty booty house made with a lot of hip hop and various other samples)eg. DJ funk)
As of now I have nothing in the way of composition hardware or software. Where do I start? (please no beginner @#%$ that I am going to regret buying in a few months)

THANKS

*CHRIS*

Best start with software if you're not sure you're gonna keep on doing this. Reason is the most popular cool soft nowadays!

Yeah I'd go with reason... it's good soft. And it's not cheezy like Fruity Loops.

well....I know that Im going to be doin this for as far forward as I can see so what about hardware?

Depends a lot of your budget... Can you give us a maximum price?

Get yourself agood box

From youre last replay if youre gonna keep at it and want to buy hardware get yourself either agood box since getto house as far as im concerned is more percussion and bass based less progressive melody and stuff if you really wanna save money get a korg electra or something just for the drumz the rest could easily be done on any pro sound editor (talking bout voice samples now ..:) anyhow good luck mate
My music: http://www.mp3.com/dzager (Trance,House,Chill-out)

Yeah, could you give us a bit of an example on the price range we're talking about?

*Get-up Get-up putcha body in motion! Do-it'n just start the commotion!*

You said that you don't want any begginer stuff so your gonna wanna stay away from Fruity loops, and Orion. These are pretty cheezy softwares, but you can actually put some quite decent stuff together with them. If your budget is a bit tight you can grab these for under $100 USD mate.

You can get demos for these at:

http://www.fruityloops.com
http://www.sonic-syndicate.com

If you are taking the software route, I'd recomend Reason again. Its priced at around $300 USD I belive (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and is pretty nice software. I haven't heard any software emulate real hardware this well before either.

If you are taking the hardware route, it will cost quite a bit more money, so be prepared to finance half of your EQ because this stuff is expencive. I would reccomend against using hardware if you are close to broke.

I do however recomend using Reason and any kind of midi-input controller or keyboard. This I'm sure will do the trick quite nicely for you.

Well, that's just my 2 cents...

'bout tha budget

Well I just started working as an investment property Realtor here in the south bay area so my budget isnt tight. The thing that I am most conserned with is flexability.

Thanks a lot for all the help I really appreciate it!

-Chris

Fruity rulez

Why ? Why ? Why ? Why ?
pepole on this site keep saying fruity is cheezy ?
Its agreat program nytestrike ever tried to sample anything of your own and use the lfo's on it ? Instant Hux-flux music .. the new one (fruity 3 ) is even more awesome fully vst compatible and lots o new internal synths the ts-404 hp filters are awesome!
I personally think that fruity is a pro tool and could be used to almost every electronic genre So quit trashing it! :)
Peace
D-zager
my music : http://www.mp3.com/dzager

We'll see how cheesy you think Orion is when I post my track I just finished- I'll give you a link. I swear, people always associate price with quality. I can make better tracks with Orion than half the people I've heard using the big seq's like Cubase, Logic, etc. Not meaning to brag, but you know quality music when you hear it, and trust me, you can make totally professional tracks with Orion and Floops. Reason is the program that doesn't meet my standards.

D-Zager, I checked out your music, and its excellent stuff. Very good work, you know what the hell you are doing.

How True.

I agree... Fruityloops 3 is a great program, and I also don't understand why some people don't like it. In order to succeed your gonna need all the tools you can get your hands on. I hardly ever depend entirely on one program to get good results. Aquire as much as you can and take advantage of the best each has to offer.

Most people ive heard bitch about the interface not being so accesible... I think thats just sheer laziness (not being bothered to learn a new thing) and imo think the interface is quite good.. Just think what the state of computer music would be like if everybody couldnt be f'ed learning tracker interfaces :P

Back