wah fx with filters?

Xabiton

Cupcake God
i heard a while ago somebody say that u can make wah fx in reason using the filters? that makes absolutely no sense to me and im curious how to do so. Ive been trying to figure this out for about 2 months with no success any ideas?

...indeed you can sir.

All a wah pedal is, is a filter.

Open a dr rex and import one of the soundbank telecaster guitar riffs. Press preview.

Now, set the lfo to modulate the 'filter', (the lfo section beneath the filter/reso sliders - click the light against 'filter' between osc and pan so that the lfo sweep controlls filter frequency), leave the waveform as the roof type symbol, set your lfo rate (try un-sync'd to start) to between 50 and 60 and set the amount at about 40 and hey presto. Instant wah!

Last edited:
1 more question now what about on the nnxt or 19 i dont usually use the rex for anything besides drums any suggestions there

its essentially the same with the NN19.

Load up your sample.

Filter = bandpass

then in the lfo section to the left of the filter freq / reso sliders, again set lfo to modulate the filter and set your rate and amount settings 'to taste' so to speak.

The NNXT is pretty much the same as well, its just that the knobs are placed differently.

You need to drop down the main sampler section and load your sample into that section.

Then you apply the filter freq / bandwidth and resonance changes to the filter section beneath the main screen between the 'pitch' and 'amp envelope' sections.

Then you need to change the lfo rate in the lfo section in the bottom left of the NNXT, and instead of switching the filter light on as with the other units, you turn the 'filter' knob until you get the desired amount of lfo modulation.

There may be a little tweaking required to some or all of these parameters depending on the frequency content of the imported samples.

If you need any more info, let me know dude.

Last edited:
thanx ill try that right now i already have reason open and be back in a few minutes u wouldnt happen to have aim would u

messenger i'm afraid dude but i'm online for the time being so either PM or post and keep an eye out.

Gotta go and eat some pizza downstairs with the good lady but that'll take 10 mins tops...

You can also get a wah effect, by putting the filter on the individual peaks - rather than on the LFO. You simply end up with an envelope-following wah, instead of a tempo-locked wah.

As was said earlier, a wah is simply a filter that uses some sort of input to sweep the filter's freq range. So trigger your filter with Audio, CV, Midi, Envelope. Any of these options are viable.

And DONT BE AFRAID TO PUT THAT FILTER/WAH WAH ON YOUR DRUM TRACKS!!!

and dude i gave u a patch that has that so u can look over that lol. nard

jimba u gave me a patch but it was different and didnt work for everything this method works more often and i wanted to know about it with filters kuz i was curious about filters u showed me thru modulation

yea i dont see that as a good look for a hip hop track unless theirs gonna be a break

JimbaFrosty said:
yea i dont see that as a good look for a hip hop track unless theirs gonna be a break

Surely there is no reason why it shouldn't be considered though?

I mean, sometimes producers / composers think outside of the box hence how new sub-genres are created.

je je, sometimes you do something really stupid, and suddenly, it sounds cool.

Sometimes, I just stop everything, and think that I`m falling into a boring routine, and music can be everything except that, and try to do things that I unintentionally have forbbiden myself to do, making "irrational" things, like going to the drum track and transponse it +48, substitute the hi-hats for a pad patch, reverse the MIDI connections. Sometimes you discover cool things by accident. Sometimes a little bit of irrationalism is like fresh air on your music.

balma said:
je je, sometimes you do something really stupid, and suddenly, it sounds cool.

Sometimes, I just stop everything, and think that I`m falling into a boring routine, and music can be everything except that, and try to do things that I unintentionally have forbbiden myself to do, making "irrational" things, like going to the drum track and transponse it +48, substitute the hi-hats for a pad patch, reverse the MIDI connections. Sometimes you discover cool things by accident. Sometimes a little bit of irrationalism is like fresh air on your music.

happy accidents!!

I vocoded a drum loop instead of a vocal in reason a couple of years back simply because I loaded the wrong sound into the NN19 I had linked to the vocoder.

It sounded great...

Back