Which VST's for this type of warm pad...?

amakarise

Hello,

I am looking for a good vst(plug-in) [preferably free, but if not, no more than maybe $130-ish] where I can create some nice warm/airy sounding pads. I provided a couple of links below with songs that will give you an idea of what I am going for. Many have suggested Omnisphere, but I simply cannot afford something like that right now. I am wondering which vst(plug-in) would be best to yield similar sounding pads like in the songs below and also give me a flexible interface with for example maybe LP/HP filter options, resonance, chorus, etc on a budget?

Thanks!

*Andre 3000 - Prototype [starts at 4:13 but best heard around 4:38]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2GY762sMkM

*Foreign Exchange - Come Around [starts around 2:41]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLfPMV7Vk4c

Very likely something similar can be made with stock plugins/free plugins. What DAW are you on?

update: just had a go. It's not a perfect replication, but seeing as you're only going for the general kind of sound, should be close enough to satisfy you.
Play a major 7/major 9 chord. Start with square, saw or triangle waves, then add a lowpass filter.

That's pretty much it, tbh. Some things to try for extra movement/interest:
1. add some moderately wet reverb with moderately decay
2. add an envelope to the lowpass filter to make the filter start slightly higher then fall down (look up a tutorial on adsr evelopes if you don't understand)

Last edited:
Okay, I will give that a try that makes perfect sense! By the way, I am using FL Studio. If you are familiar with that DAW, I was advised to try using sytrus or 3xOSC. Would you agree? Thanks for all the info, it was very helpful.

So, you can use some of the built-in VSTs that can help achieve that pad sound. It sounds like it was created using a low pass filter and saw waves that were slightly detuned to make it sound more full. You can use the 3xOSC to achieve it. Also, add some reverb. That'll really help.

I know you're on a budget, but maybe for Christmas or if you find the money, Omnisphere is well worth looking at. There are loads of sounds like these and countless others. It is equally awesome at soundtracks as it is rap beats and it has been joy to use since the day I got it.

As I said, I know it doesn't necessarily answer your question...but Christmas is coming... lol

Good luck with the sound!

JC

Lol, idk if it's going to happen this Christmas...maybe I'll try for my birthday a few months after haha. Thanks anyway!

Back