VSTs & Sound Synthesis

$

$uni

Well, after making instrumentals loosely for awhile, I've ran out of vst sounds to keep me creative. Usually when I make an instrumental, I will just cycle through vst's until i find certain sounds that I prefer &or that go into the mix well. I always eq & tweak synths, leads, etc. to sound like what I am going for. Sure, I've made some tracks that I really like and believe could be great finished products after mixing&mastering, but I cannot keep making music this way. I'm looking for advice on how to create my own synths or some links to tutorial videos. If this fails I think I will just hop over and join the samplers haha

How do you go about producing the sounds you have imagined in your head?

Where do you go to get quality VST's? (For purchase but not ridiculously expensive :rolleyes:)

fm synthesis boot camp youtube video.
1980's white guy youtube video also.
then tutorials of the synths you using.
then figure out what you want to be doing on synthesizers.
subtractive?wavetable?additive?frequency modulation?all of them?

free:zebracm, pd303, vst4free.com
paid:zebra, reaktor, alchemy, omnisphere or nexus.
Stock:whatever came with daw is more than capable as well.

Synth Secrets: Links to All Parts

When I create a sound I either listen to the song and try to understand what's missing, or I completely experiment.
Considering listening to the song - the more spontaneous the thought is, the better mostly.
Bounce down your track, and listen to it on a late evening when you're not planning to produce anything and feel all relaxed, and take notes on what needs to be done. Make the notes short but with a good description so you can easily remember what you meant.

When I experiment I usually just fool around and save preset after preset. Then whenever I need a new sound, I often know pretty much what character I need (raw, pad, rythmic, etc) and then I go through the presets and try out a dozen ones, and also try some layering to see how to get an as good sound as possible.

And when I do real sounddesigning I often listen to some music and let the inspiration flow and just fool around until I get a good result.
I usually manage a sound within 10-15 minutes, but no need to rush if you only want another nice sound in your track, but rushing can be a good way to discover new personal tactics and so on.

Back