VST instruments VS Sound Fonts w/ Fruityloops

irthwirm

Okay there are some pretty good VST's out there with some solid sounds and there are some pretty good sound fonts but I would have to say most sF2 are garbage. I don't mind paying for good stuff. Where can i find some dope Sound Fonts?

Also is there a way to change the velocity of a note like can do with soundfonts. Basically if i wanted to do a fade up or out on a note I would in the piano roll. I add that note with a triangle on it(don't know the tech term) and fade it over the orginal note. Where if i try to do that with a VST it doesn't fade and I usually have to mess around with the channel volume which is a pain. Basically can a VST Act like a FL synth or Soundfont in where you can have that control over the individual notes volume or volacity and not have to use the channel to fade up or down a note. Something with midi settings or ports maybe?

Oh and while i'm on the subject. Using VST's usually allows you to have a bunch of instruments coming from that one VST. Now in FL studio i havne't figure that out. I usually just open another channel on the sequencer with the same VST and choose another instrument but after a bunch of them it starts to eat away at my cpu. How do i get one VST which is fruitywrapped to play multiple instruments and how do you plug that into multiple channels without duplicating the VST plugin ie Sample Tank, Hypersonic etc?

Thanks!

What are the dopest VST instruments or should i say what format ie Giga, Kurzweil, EXS24, E-mu etc for quality. I've read up on Giga (GigaStudio instruments) and They seem pretty solid. But i'm not really familar with these other ones.

As for the applying of one VST plugin to gerenerate mulitiple instruments instead of one, which obviously seems possible, but can it be done in fl and HOW DOES ONE DO IT?

irthwirm said:
As for the applying of one VST plugin to gerenerate mulitiple instruments instead of one, which obviously seems possible, but can it be done in fl and HOW DOES ONE DO IT?

I see people asking this question all the time.. well first off, if ur using FL, open ur vst and at the top right of the vst it says port.. put it on port1.. then go to insert channel and find midi out.. when midi out opens up, look into channel settings and change the port to 1.. then it'll work. and if u want more sounds from the same vst, just clone midi out and change the channel number to 2, and so on and so forth.

tha_reaper334 said:
I see people asking this question all the time.. well first off, if ur using FL, open ur vst and at the top right of the vst it says port.. put it on port1.. then go to insert channel and find midi out.. when midi out opens up, look into channel settings and change the port to 1.. then it'll work. and if u want more sounds from the same vst, just clone midi out and change the channel number to 2, and so on and so forth.

yo reaper, i tried it and it works for 1 port, but i still dont understand how to assign it to different instrument with only 1 vst open?

example:
i want a piano and some bells coming from the same instance of hypersonic, how would i do that?

put hypersonic to port 1,
open midi out, put it to port 1...
and then???:confused:

thanks in advance

PrinceOfDarkness said:
yo reaper, i tried it and it works for 1 port, but i still dont understand how to assign it to different instrument with only 1 vst open?

example:
i want a piano and some bells coming from the same instance of hypersonic, how would i do that?

put hypersonic to port 1,
open midi out, put it to port 1...
and then???:confused:

thanks in advance

My man laid it out pretty clear. It took me a few minutes but the key is to continue to assign the CHANNEL NUMBER to a different number each time you clone a new midi out channel. Each cloned midi channel represents a different patch from the same VST but, to hear those different sounds you have to remeber to change the Channel Number.

PEACE

dandandan said:
yeah man. wat the hell u mean they're for mixing?

sound fonts come with basically no fx or quality or nothing there just dull instruments but they are for those (like me) who like to creat them and edit them to sound how you want them to sound... i like to edit my stuff and add my own reverbs and delays or filters or whatever.. to fix it up, otherwise you're just like everyother producer using presets which is not profesional and shows no talent or originality in the producer so thats basically what he means when he says they're for mixing... basically to make them sound the way you want them to sound not the way someone else imagined it to sound...

irthwirm said:
Okay there are some pretty good VST's out there with some solid sounds and there are some pretty good sound fonts but I would have to say most sF2 are garbage. I don't mind paying for good stuff. Where can i find some dope Sound Fonts?

sf2midi.com has some good ones.

irthwirm said:
Also is there a way to change the velocity of a note like can do with soundfonts. Basically if i wanted to do a fade up or out on a note I would in the piano roll. I add that note with a triangle on it(don't know the tech term) and fade it over the orginal note. Where if i try to do that with a VST it doesn't fade and I usually have to mess around with the channel volume which is a pain. Basically can a VST Act like a FL synth or Soundfont in where you can have that control over the individual notes volume or volacity and not have to use the channel to fade up or down a note. Something with midi settings or ports maybe?

what you are referring to is portamento, or glide.

check the settings on your vst's and look for portamento or glide on it. if it's set to mono, then you can hold one note down and when you play another note, it'll roll up to that different note (basically only play the last note you pressed even if you have more than one key held down). the glide and/or slide amount will determine how long it will take to slide to the next note. it's the same as the "triangle" on the notes in the piano roll in FL.

yep yep

tha_reaper334 said:

That's really good information, thnx (Y)

Back