Virtual Instrument for "Harp Sounds"

jsinna

I was, "youtubing", and i came across all of these Ryan Leslie videos of him creating all of the music for his album. One video in particular (posted below) featured a chick he had come in a play some music for him for one of Cassie's songs he produced. After viewing the video, if anybody knows what kind of virtual instrument is good to create that kind of harp sound or something close to it, post what you think is good. I primarily use Reason 3.0 and i also have Pro Tools M-powered 7.3, So any refills or plugins that i could use in Pro Tools would be helpful.

"Ryan Leslie Producing Cassie's Just One Nite"
Search that and the video will come up......I'm new on the site so i can't post links yet...sorry.

Last edited:
Harps are not complicated things, but where sampled instruments fall down is not the aspects of harp sound that get captured, it is what is lost, mainly the finger noise similar to that of guitar fret noise.

All the major orchestral sample libraries (EastWest, IK Phil etc) have pretty decent sounding harps. The most realistic I've found is the Vienna SL harps, but they are expensive (about $200). You get what you pay for. Have a listen:

http://vsl.co.at/downloader.asp?file=/Sounds/MP3/VI_DEMOS/05_Harps/GB_Sakura_Concertino.mp3

Good looking out on the input...im downloading the VSL the mp3 from the link you gave me right now....and after listening...i think i found what im looking for!!! $200 bucks aint too much of a dent in my pocket. Im on it....appreciate the feedback....

Enndee said:
lol free VST's are not going to have good sounds.

Some do, at least for synthetic sounds, but when it comes to something like a harp I suppose I agree; no VST, free or otherwise, will be able to synthesise a harp sound that sounds anywhere near as good as a sampled one...

on a piano play G, B, D down the piano in different octaves will give you a nice harp sound you can even switch it up to F sharp (I think its F sharp the first black key in the group of 3) then D and E. Hold down your pettle while you do this. Once you get a feel for it you can start to switch it up its a good way to learn how to play all the keys on a piano and learn how to freestyle

Last edited by a moderator:
Enndee said:
lol free VST's are not going to have good sounds.

But if you're broke, a crappy harp sound is better than no harp sound.
:cheers:

I was looking for harp sounds too, found a soundfont that i like pretty much, here I attached it. You might want to take the release down a bit because the notes sustain for too long, hope you like it ;)

AzNTonio said:
I was looking for harp sounds too, found a soundfont that i like pretty much, here I attached it. You might want to take the release down a bit because the notes sustain for too long, hope you like it ;)
Appreciate the sounds man. Im at work right now so i cant check em out. As soon as i get home im gonna check em out.

lol I see, well if you have speakers at work here's a demo mp3 you can listen to, it's a midi file I rendered using reason with the harp soundfont.

P.S. There's some kind of anoying noise in this mp3 I dunno why I think I messed with the reverb and the release too much, but it usually sounds good lol

Last edited:
Back