Using vocals to make melody

djfiveoneoh

I see a lot of producers do this but i have no idea how its done or what its called.

its done in the drop on this song where vocals are taken and turned into a melody it sounds like. If you can point me in the direction of a good tutorial i would appreciate it. I use Logic pro x. I also use maschine.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds to me like the voice has been put through a 'resynthesized' synthesizer so that it can be linked to a piano roll or keyboard, and played/manipulated by the producer. That's what I've seen it used for in the past, at least.

As for tutorials, I'm sure you can find something if you look up "resynthesis". There are bound to be guides or basic how-to's.

resynthesis (aka vocoding) is one possibility

it could also be a very simple sample and assign to multiple keys and applying a time stretch algorithm to each new note created to remove the time compression/expansion (slowing down/speeding up) effect of just shifting pitch by vari-speed tape methods

add some delay as well and you get close

i think the "assign the sample to a key and play" it's the simplest way if you've never done it. Although the vocoder is also an intersting ideia.

Back