Useful Tricks & Tips

bosko

Ok,lets try and see how long this thread will last..Contribute people!

Post some useful tricks that you use or know.I`ll start...

...This one is really cool(if you dont allready know it by now)...Get some vocal sample,something "choirish"...
reverse it,apply reverb at the end so that you get a nice natural release with it and then reverse the whole sample back.Sounds cool,dont it? You can experiment and try this effect with any sample.I remember one time I applied it on a drum loop but I made the reverb short...

This is a good thread.. to bad people aren't contibuting.. SMH...

Ummmm, All I could reall contribute is little things...

(This thread really should be in the noob section)

Phasing/Flanging chorus parts give a weird effect...

That reverb one yoo said was a good one..

I like to reverse samples if I can't find anything good foward...

Try things that don't sound like you should be doing it.. LMAO. Great results.

bosko said:

...This one is really cool(if you dont allready know it by now)...Get some vocal sample,something "choirish"...
reverse it,apply reverb at the end so that you get a nice natural release with it and then reverse the whole sample back.Sounds cool,dont it? You can experiment and try this effect with any sample.I remember one time I applied it on a drum loop but I made the reverb short...

aka preverb, good stuff

hmmm... some cool tricks eh?

damn cant think of any right now but i will contribute when i remember some

Thanks for the reply`s but this forum inst very lively so it seems...

One random for Fruity users: Play with arpeggio,you can use it on "normal" samples,the parameters are more or less easy to understand.

...To make your beats a bit more "live" use Fruity slicer on your drum loop and apply high pass filter so that just hats and percussion stand out...You just put your Kicks and Snares...

If you`re looking for TB 303 Acid sound I strongly suggest Audio Realism`s Bassline.TS 404 is good for some bleeps and glitches but as a 303 emulation its not so good.

as far as sound design tips? you can really make a lot of new sounds by knowing how to splice and layer waveforms together. What i do to make this easy is keep a "toolbox" folder with the types of sounds that i most frequently layer or are exemplary (as points of reference.)

_lodger

Load up a hit sample into a sampler and run it through some delay, but trigger 3 notes, one at regular pitch, one at 1 octave lower and one at 2 octaves lower.

It will require some tweaking, but get it right and it will all mush together and sound quite awesome. I found this trick on one of the FL example files.

when mixing, take special care about the mix itself, and don't focus only at certain parts.

Sometimes, an instrument/FX is beautiful in the mix, but suxx when played alone.

That's normal. It's just a signal you should play it where it sounds better.

bosko said:
Thanks for the reply`s but this forum inst very lively so it seems...

One random for Fruity users: Play with arpeggio,you can use it on "normal" samples,the parameters are more or less easy to understand.

...To make your beats a bit more "live" use Fruity slicer on your drum loop and apply high pass filter so that just hats and percussion stand out...You just put your Kicks and Snares...

If you`re looking for TB 303 Acid sound I strongly suggest Audio Realism`s Bassline.TS 404 is good for some bleeps and glitches but as a 303 emulation its not so good.

What is arpeggio ? Where can I find it in FL ?

Arpeggio (speaking in technical term) automates your notes. You can make them move upwards from the root note,downwards,up & downwards and there`s also a random feature.

The first wheel when you right click it offers you to choose how fast your arpeggio will play the notes. 1/2 step,1 step,2step etc...

THe second wheel is the gate and it makes your notes slide into one another,so if you turn the wheel totally to your left you will get that "climbing" sound.

You can also choose what notes does the arpeggio play...Auto I think plays only the same note your generator plays...so if you play C5 and you set arp to play 3 octaves (the numbers box) it will play C5,C6 and C7. Depending on how you set it to play.

I`m sure the arpeggio is covered nicely in FL help also.

bosko said:
Arpeggio (speaking in technical term) automates your notes. You can make them move upwards from the root note,downwards,up & downwards and there`s also a random feature.

The first wheel when you right click it offers you to choose how fast your arpeggio will play the notes. 1/2 step,1 step,2step etc...

THe second wheel is the gate and it makes your notes slide into one another,so if you turn the wheel totally to your left you will get that "climbing" sound.

You can also choose what notes does the arpeggio play...Auto I think plays only the same note your generator plays...so if you play C5 and you set arp to play 3 octaves (the numbers box) it will play C5,C6 and C7. Depending on how you set it to play.

I`m sure the arpeggio is covered nicely in FL help also.

Aight man ! Thx

I like to mess with the portamento in reason to get a drop or a rise in an instrument!

oh and make 2 of the same sounds, pan one sound a lil to the left and one a lil to the right, turn off snap, and move the right sound offbeat a lil to the right until to get a nice stereo sound!

Last edited:
Bro_Random said:
I like to mess with the portamento in reason to get a drop or a rise in an instrument!

oh and make 2 of the same sounds, pan one sound a lil to the left and one a lil to the right, turn off snap, and move the right sound offbeat a lil to the right until to get a nice stereo sound!

Actually you can get that same effect if you pan the sound to the left add a delay effect that is less than 30 milli secondss and pan the effect to the right.

make cool pads, by sampling a chord, say a fith or a minor 7th, could be a rhodes or an organ to start with, then spread the single sample across your keyboard and you'll get a totally cool sound to play with.

here's one for reason users, especially

if you want to make synth patches that have properties that you cant easily produce using the modulation matrix and envelopes, play your sound and record the tweaks in realtime. now that automation is recorded, if you change the note, the same settings/ tweaks will be applied. export the wav's of your sample, taking at least 2 notes per octive you plan to use.

voila...simple and effective

-Lodger

Record a message either on your mic or using a text to speech synthesizer. Use pitch shift to speed it up and then reverse it.

Now you can put secret messages in your music, which people can try and decipher.

When using reverb on VOCALS, try including a pre-delay of around 50 ms or so. Using this helps keep the initial front of each word clearer and less clouded by the reverb.

Actually, here is one for vocalists.

If your singing is too plosive, then attach a pencil to your mic and pointing at you, and then sing. ;)

Back