understanding instrumentants notes

BlackTorch

for some reason when i make beats they sound good but they have no direction. i'm having trouble giving my beats movement. i think the problem is that i'm having trouble understanding which instruments fit what note value best. for example i know that basslines are normaly played on the whole note. but what about half notes and quarter notes and ect? also sometimes my beaats sound real busy how many instuments are enough? is there a standard amount in hip hop.

Who says basslines are usually played in whole notes? That absolute rubbish..

standard amount of instruments???

dude.. music is about personal expression.. the only standard in music, is ones u set for urself...

u can have as many or as lil instruments in ur beats as u want... Grindin was only a ****in drum pattern and a sound and it had country goin krazy..

as for basslines being whole notes, thats FALSE.. bassnotes can be as long as u want them to be... if u have a bassline progression in a chord change.. ur not gonna have 1 note being played for four beats.. thats crazy.. u can have staccato notes, half notes, 8th notes, 16th notes.. all being played by the bass.. u can have one note being played for 4 beats in a bar lol...

its all personal preference...

now as for making ur track "move" wat u mite wanna do is use transition notes..

lets say one loop is in the key of C Major.. and it goes for 4 beats...
so the bass can play C for 3 beats... on the 4th beat.. play the note before the root of the next chord...

so if ur goin from C Major to G Major.. play C for 3 beats and on the 4th beat play G Flat.. before going to that G Major chord.. it gives the track a lil more motion.. makes it feel more fluid then straight loop after loop...

idk if u understand wat im sayin... PM me if u need to

Not an a-hole at all, he was simply stating that basslines aren't simply limited to whole notes. If all music was only written with one sort of note it would get really boring really fast.

Back