Types of hi hat rolls?

Zak_GBz

Hi

Ive really been wondering about hi hat rolls. When, where, and why do you make hi hats rolls? Ive heard so many types from speaker knockerz making his roll on the backbeat/snare, or giving it space like how juice 808 did it in coco.

here are links for coco and then what i was describing about speaker knockerz

O.T. Genasis - CoCo [Music Video] - YouTube

Speaker Knockerz - Dap You Up (Official Video) Shot By @LoudVisuals - YouTube

My question is why are they like that for each of those songs. What does it cause and whats the difference from having your hi hats roll on the snare or not?

Also if you can what do hi hat rolls create? more bounce? Metro Boomin makes his hit when the 808's do and that makes it bouncy

Last edited:
The hi hats are the ride of the beat. Hi hat rolls create variation within that ride just like a open to closed hi hat or changing tempo of a hat or ride. You should read up on how to count drums you've got whole notes, half notes, quarter notes, eight, sixteenth, 32's, triplets. They traditionally usually play at quarter or eights for most pop music. Trap uses a lot of variation between 8th 16th 32s and triplets. Rolls do not generally create bounce as bounce feel would be more due to humanized dynamics (soft to loud)

Last edited:
The difference is that "Trap" beats are programmed with lots of hi-hat rolls, multiple snare sounds and bass drums, which ultimately is all extremely unrealistic (in the sense that a real drummer would never, or could never play that way). So, as much and as unrealistically as possible, would seem to be the rule.

So, as much and as unrealistically as possible, would seem to be the rule.

I think the origins of the trap rolls stem from the fact that they're easy enough to pull off with the good ol' piano roll, or the "note repeat" function found on many controllers and MPCs, for example. Them being unrealistic is probably just a side effect rather than the point of it...

Hard to say, but at this point, two to three different snare drums, rolling while another plays two and four, with multiple bass drums booming, while a ride plays quarter notes with a closed hi-hat playing 32nd-note rolls? We are waaayyy into non-human drumming at this point.

Back