TUTORIAL: Learning Scales & Chords

I'm not sure to understand how you got to that point... :

5) And thats it, now we have the A major scale, it should look like this - A B C# D E F# G# A

so any scale has each note name (A-B-C-D-E-F-G-A) appear once (the repeat of the starting/naming note at the end is normal to maintain the major scale structure T-T-S-T-T-T-S)

The table shows that we have 3 #'s in the scale of A major.

Major#CG
f
D
c
A
g

the specific notes to be sharpened are F#, C# and G# worked out by reading back along the table from A to C

Major#CG
f
D
c
A
g

so we expect that the notes will be A-B-C#-D-E-F#-G#-A

Last edited:
Oh okay i think i got it now! Thanks.

Just to make sure, for example on E Major Scale it would be : E F# G# A B C# D# E ?

Oh okay i think i got it now! Thanks.

Just to make sure, for example on E Major Scale it would be : E F# G# A B C# D# E ?
Four sharps...you got it!

Once I learned the filling order of sharps and flats through thr circle of fifths, remembering my scales became MUCH much easier.

I hope i help somebody out, but here is the original picture that got lost apparently from the topic:

Image is in the attachments

Thanks to the internet archive project

Attachments

• chartuz6.jpg
    chartuz6.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
This is such a handy post! A very big thank you for taking the time to post this, this is great information to have to hand and can I am sure it will do great things for the producers and music makers who absorb this. Thank you again!

a lil on chord progression please. can we stuck with same popular chord progression( 1 4 5 1 ) or we can alter them as we wish?
if we can alter how will we know which chords to fit which bars of melody?

You can ofc use any chord progression you want. Try usin the 4 chords Am, F, C and G. In that order. Then try moving it around a bit by starting with C instead of Am.
The best answer is; read music theory, then try it out on your c\keyboard.

I am keen to learn this but just how important/use will it be? just depends how much depth I go into thats all

Back