TUTORIAL: Learning Scales & Chords

E.Money805 said:
can we define scales, chords, sharps and flats and such. i think that'll help. err.. maybe i'll google it and get back at it...

Yea Google will give much more detailed and accurate answers to those questions than me. Search them in Wikipedia to see their definitions.

Im alil late to da party but i gotta say dis is some good ****.......

i got one question though intended for anybody with knowledge of music theory......

I often read how different chords project different emotions and i've searched around before but i really have trouble finding sites that link certain chords with certain emotions .... Any body gotta link to a page dat might go over that sort of topic?

DaBomb said:
Im alil late to da party but i gotta say dis is some good ****.......

i got one question though intended for anybody with knowledge of music theory......

I often read how different chords project different emotions and i've searched around before but i really have trouble finding sites that link certain chords with certain emotions .... Any body gotta link to a page dat might go over that sort of topic?

Just experiment with the chords i listed in the original post, you'll soon get familiar with the different feelings each one has. A good start is to know that anything major is gonna have a bright, happy feeling. And anything minor is gonna have a dark, sad feeling.

question

Can someone please tell me how to assign keys from an axiom 25 keyboard to either ableton live or fruity loops. And the 8 button beatpad as well if possible...

*bookmarked!*

Cheers for this J! Your explanation of chords and finding scales is prob the simplest and most straight forward i've seen!

8notes.com is a great site to learn easy helped me alot peace!!

thanks for the post!

dont sleep on learning chords and scales....VERY important stuff!

This is all very clear and correct. There are some some things that i would like to mention though:
"Sus 2

1 2 5"
I think that this chord is usually spelled as a 9th chord, as in D9=1 3 5 7 9. Sometimes the 7th is not played.
"People usually use Roman Numerals instead of numbers, i am pretty much self taught, so i dont do it that way. Dont let the Roman numerals fool you."
The roman numerals stand for harmonic functions, not melodic grades (which you use for describing the structure of chords). A practical purpose for using numerals is to give a chord progression that can be applied to any key, for example, I - II7 - VII7 - III7 - I in C is C - D7 - B7dim - E7 - C, in E is E - F#7- D#7dim - G#7 -E.

That's all I can add, great post. Keep up the good work!

P.S.: It's also useful to know about intervals (unison, major or minor second, major third...), i mean knowing what they stand for, they are already somewhat explained on the post.

THE ARkiTech said:
The last dude just confused the hell out of me. I thought if you were in C then VII would be G7

Bdim is VII7 because its the 7th note of the Cmaj scale.

I - ii - iii - IV - V - vi - VII

C - Dm - Em - F - G - Am - Bdim

Last edited:
thanks for the great post, this helps me out alot with learning the chords and scales.

I'm still trying to learn how to make music and get better at playing the piano so I have a question

how can I figure out what chords sound good together to make a song (does it have to do with the scales or playing in the key of something)?

Last edited:
Back