TUTORIAL: Learning Scales & Chords

I've been studying the piano for about 4 months now and have picked up quite a bit on my own, but this thread really helped bring everything together and is a hell of alot less confusing than my music theory textbooks, LOL! Great Post.

this are really good things ....can u show this as a youtube video how u doing this by using fruity loops or reason with how
u put strings melody making and rest of the process.....4 me is doing a chords with software i always mess around with....

Thanks! I just got into production myself, and learning these scales and chords are very confusing. I'm going to keep from asking questions because I haven't read the whole thread yet, but I am still very confused. Just wanted to say thanks for posting this information.
Something told me to listen to my middle school music teacher when she was trying to teach me this stuff...

Wow, did you think up the table yourself? I have a few theory books and non make scales and chords this compact and clear. Cheers!!

Great thread. Much appreciated.

One thing that cannot be taught (per se) is the fingering. Can anyone here suggest some technical drills to assist with building power in the fingers, INTERDEPENDENCE for the fingers (Esp. 5&4 an the Bass clef), and of course SPEED?

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Applause!!! That was very enlighten... Keep posting as you learn!

Good post. Basically, that chart is this:

[Won't let me post image: type circle of fifths in google or wikipedia]

The circle of fifths. I have been learning it for a few weeks. it is helping me a LOT!!

edited

I would like to add to this:

To find a major chord in any key, chose the key you would like to find the chord for. For exampl, to keep it simple, we'll say a Cmajor chord. Find C on your keyboard and count four keys up. This should land you on E. From there, count up another three keys, which should land you on G. Now you have a C major Chord.

Major Chord: from any key 4 + 3

Minor Chord: from any key 3 + 4

The same rules apply for a minor chord, in any key count 3 keys not including the key you begin on, plus another four.

To find the inversion,

C = first inversion 3 + 5 from C.

second inversion 5 + 4 from C.

If you follow these steps you can find any chord, in any key, and the first and second inversion of that chord.

Great thread. Much appreciated.

One thing that cannot be taught (per se) is the fingering. Can anyone here suggest some technical drills to assist with building power in the fingers, INTERDEPENDENCE for the fingers (Esp. 5&4 an the Bass clef), and of course SPEED?

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Look up Hanon. While at first it may be intimidating, you will definitely build strength and speed.

First inversion of a C Chord: If you count up three keys from E, not including the E key, you will have the second note of an inverted C chord, which in this case would be G. From the second note, which is G, count up another five keys, and you will land on the third note, which is C. Thus you have E, G, C, the first inversion of a C chord. Note how with the original C chord, where C E G were the notes and the C was on the bottom; now the C is on the top with the E G C inverted chord. Apply the rules 5 + 4 to get the second inversion, this time starting from G. This applies to any key and any chord. Hopefully I cleared it up for you, if you need any further explanation holla at me.

Last edited:
Back