TUTORIAL: Learning Scales & Chords

I just started to learn my scales a few months ago in my piano class, but this was still very helpful! Especially with the minor scales. I was really confused on how to do those.

dude... this is awesome great job! also for those of you that have ventured this far i have found a cool website that helps with all of that a little more visually too...

looknohands . com / chordhouse / piano

since I am a nubie they wouldn't let me post links to sites yet... so i broke it up =) sorry if the mods don't like this but it's a great site... just wanted to share.

Thanks.

I never bothered to study music theory, cuz just like u, i picked up a few things myself.. But recently Im wondering why some things I play sound the way they do.. So I guess this is a good time to read about that stuff :p.

I stored everything in a Word document if u dont mind :)

Last edited:
Mods should sticky this co's the same question is gonna pop up in a week or so blood.

I dont know if u have mentioned this but which minor scale did u talk about when u said flatten this and that, was it the harmonic,melodic or natural?

If i could, i would go back and edit this a bit, since writing it i've learned a bit more and there are certain things in the tutorial that could be done more easily.

I'm gonna write another tutorial soon on Chord Progressions. Hopefully in the next 2 weeks if i find some time.

Great Thread. Also a good way to find any major scale is to follow this technique I learned. Whole note, whole, half, whole, whole, whole, half. LEts start with C for a example. Whole note means u skip one note and half is when u dont skip a note. So C u skip C flat and Go to D then skip D flat and go to E. Then Dont skip any note and go straight to F and so on. Ending back at C. Try it on any key and you will find all the scales..

Back