Turning Techno Sounding Synths to Rap Synths

my advice:
Get your sounds from Blue Note 12"'s, and you won't have any "techo-problems". ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

It amazes me how many lazy diggers post here.

As for this whole synth issue. Producers with balls will use any kind of synth they can get there hands on. Lil' Jon uses that "Techno" lead on almost all of his tracks, but nobody had the guts to use it before (in that way). Now people associate those kinds of presets with crunk.

As for Jazzy Pha and Mannie, there tracks always sounded pretty digital to me (accept when they use session musicans).

Check out Timbo's tracks for that grimmy synth sound.

What the hell is a "Rap" synth anyways? lol

Pony_Slaystation said:
It amazes me how many lazy diggers post here.
Ever heard a thing called sarcasm?

Oh well, I obviously haven't learned not to go offtopic.

avex said:
dunno, but ima bring a diff angle on this. in my opinion, putting the actual sounds aside, the other thing that makes 'rap synth' not sound like 'techno synth' is the way you play it, whether it be the groove, the scale, the swing etc. anyone else thinks the same?

exactly some of the posts in this thread are ridiculous...

any synth can be used to make any kind of music its all in the way you play it...

Peace

Well if any of the kids out there would like to give me their synths I would be more than happy to take 'em and use them in hiphop songs.

PM me and we'll make arrangements.

People are changing the issue completely because the issue isn't whether or not you can use any sound you come accross in a rap song. Of course you can, what I am saying is that synth sounds in techno songs usually sound a lot different from synths in rap songs.

Yes lil john uses techno sounds and that's cool but I didn't write this post for the people who want to NESSASARILY sound like him. I wrote it for the people who are having a hard time with sounds that sound techno vs. sounds that sound like a typical rap track.

Guys like Mannie fresh (among a ton of other people) use lots of synths but his synths don't sound like techno very often.

Playing in a specific key isn't going to get you a sound that will sound like the synths he uses and that is the point.

I am all for using anything anybody likes but don't get the issue twisted.
Now as far as making rap synths in FL you defintely could do that.

I love FL because it's so easy for me to arrange my loops. I haven't found any good distortion VST to use however and I don't think much of the FL vst distortion and overdrive effects so probably just got to look around.

I am going to post a demo of the differnce in sound quality. Probably just open an accont with soundclick.

If Y'allz are so interessted in making hip hop synths :P

Try switching 2 fruity loops.. yeah refills are great.
But i'd rather be able to use any kind of plugin :P

Thanks for the distortion tip. It's works :P

Hope y'all remember to create music, and not just copy cat whichever dre sound u liked the best.

I sadly must say that hiphop has become less revolutionary in the overall lately.

Thank god for little jon.. oh.. wait.. his synths kinda sound like dance :o

hmm... might be great for clubbin :P
with the right groove in the melody off course :P

[color=deepskyblue}u can do that in any synth and program all my synths are from the sub and mal in reason. and MAAAAAAAAAAN i forgot to try that tip out lol.[/color]

Wow. I suppose we should call the "Techno" sounds "Classic Rock" or "Disco" sounds too. I think you lot fail to realize that bands like Rush or Parliament used analog synthesizers that we dance producers use now (software wise). There is no "techno" and "rap" sound. Besides, actual techno is percussive based, something you hip hop heads adore.

Menlo I think what you are suggesting is tantamount to saying that we do not need words to speak.

There is nothing wrong categorizing a sound, we are just seperating typical sounds my genre. I mean rap doesn't sound like disco and disco doesn't sound like the Beetles.

A lot of people hate on people who are trying to figure out how to create a specific type of sound because they "arn't being original". That isn't the point at all though, if you want that dre sound from "aint nuttin but a g thang" part of it is just to know how it's done.

It's like an painter, if he sees a painting and is just blown away by some hue or some blending of colors he may really want to learn how it was done.
He wants to create something so good himself or he may want to know just how to create it.

Nothing wrong with copying in songs or learning. Hell rap was made up of sampling to begin with so ain't a thing wrong with trying to copy sounds.

I am gonna post a file to demo what I have been talking about as far as turning a more typical dance sound to a more rap sound. You have to play around with it yourself to get what you are looking for but you will get an idea.

I think you missed the jist of my point. I was trying to state that there is no such thing as "techno" sounds or "rap" sounds (in terms of synths) because they were used in various forms of music before hand.

First of all menlo not all of my comments were directed to you, it sums up my answers to a lot of diff posts.

It sounds like you want people to be politically correct about what we call certain sounds. People are pursuing certain types of sounds, how do you want people to state them!? If people couldn't classify them that way it would be very difficult to describe types of sounds.

fatdogs12 said:
If people couldn't classify them that way it would be very difficult to describe types of sounds.

It is difficult to describe sounds. Spewing meaningless bull**** only makes the problem worse. Just look at all the threads on FP with titles like "how can I get that gritty/phat/warm sound?" that got one or two confused replies and died.

I think MenloPark was trying to make the point that sound is more often that not context sensetive, and he is right.

It hard to describe sounds, that why it best to hear them or lead people to something they can hear and then know what you are talking about.

If you got to a store and audition an european keyboard and you hear a lot of techno / trance / house arpegs... that only reflects the tastes of the designers not the capability of the board. Synthesis and Synth programing is not for everyone, and analog synths are not for everyone either.

However if you ask how can I get Dre Bass, how do I get those squashed sawtooth sounds like BEP, I want thump like Ludi ... you are going to get pointed towards "techo machines" these boards wont make your whole track ... in fact you'll probably only use it for 1 or 2 sounds at the most. So for 2 to 3 grand you only use it for a bass line and maybe a growl or snarl here and there, if you think its not worth it than the analog modlers and analogs are not your thing ... but if you really have to have sounds like Dr. Dre Bass ect... then there is no way but to pay.

What MenloPark (excuse me for putting words in your mouth) was trying to say is that boards make all kinds of sounds, it's how you program them that makes a diff. If all you care about are the presets then a Virus, Qs, KS, A6, Moog, NordLead ... ect ... is probably not something you would find useful.

mo7 said:
I think MenloPark was trying to make the point that sound is more often that not context sensetive, and he is right.

It hard to describe sounds, that why it best to hear them or lead people to something they can hear and then know what you are talking about.

If you got to a store and audition an european keyboard and you hear a lot of techno / trance / house arpegs... that only reflects the tastes of the designers not the capability of the board. Synthesis and Synth programing is not for everyone, and analog synths are not for everyone either.

However if you ask how can I get Dre Bass, how do I get those squashed sawtooth sounds like BEP, I want thump like Ludi ... you are going to get pointed towards "techo machines" these boards wont make your whole track ... in fact you'll probably only use it for 1 or 2 sounds at the most. So for 2 to 3 grand you only use it for a bass line and maybe a growl or snarl here and there, if you think its not worth it than the analog modlers and analogs are not your thing ... but if you really have to have sounds like Dr. Dre Bass ect... then there is no way but to pay.

What MenloPark (excuse me for putting words in your mouth) was trying to say is that boards make all kinds of sounds, it's how you program them that makes a diff. If all you care about are the presets then a Virus, Qs, KS, A6, Moog, NordLead ... ect ... is probably not something you would find useful.

Spot on. ;)

Based on Menlo's comments I can't see that that was what he was trying to express. Since he agreed to it though I see that was his point. Not sure if this is what you are getting at but I personally find it real annoying when people ask things like "how do I get that crunk sound", it's just too ambigous, give a specific song and sound you are going for if you want some help with it otherwise people can only guess.

However if someone was asking how do I get those saw tooth wave sounds from the chronic or where do I get this sound of that sound I think that's fine.

So again if your point is that people need to be specific then I agree, if your point was that

"there is no such thing as "techno" sounds or "rap" sounds (in terms of synths) because they were used in various forms of music before hand."

Then I couldn't disagree more... At least from what I think i understand you to be saying.

well here goes..
its gonna depend on the song. your song. this is my general tip for my style.
old and new school producers like (and sample) the good ol funk and jazz. so use the instruments and synths you hear in songs by herbie, george duke whooever you like... just check any album cover and usually all the gear used is listed or can be seen in the photos, usually it lists the gear specifically used on each track. arp2600s rhodes virus yamahas moogs etc be familiar with the sounds u like. use that same equipment/vsti or any preset that sounds close to what you want. the tones of those are already familiar so then you can add a little ingenuity on top. then eq dont go TOO crazy with fx (at least till the end) cause it all has to work together. getting back on topic, for example u wanna know the g thang synth dig out your ohio players album. like dj shadow's endtroducing was done on a MPC-60 which samples at 12 bit. so try resampling your synth for dirtier sounds madlib did 12 bits too on a boss 505..

for modern club-hop synth leads fetch ni's reaktor.. i found its pretty good and doesnt require much thought...like modern club-hop har har

Back