Tuning Drums

nalesk said:
hmmm I dont entirely agree with dvyce...

"When you have a live band (rock, jazz, metal, pop, whatever) and they play a whole set where songs are in all different keys... they don't tune the drums differently for each song"

NOOOOOOO ... u can play thousands of different songs in different keys with a traditional bass guitar tuning, same for drums!!!! yea ok a bass is not a drum kot, but you DO need to tune the drumkit anyway!

that coment about the cymbals applies : u cant have 100 cymbals, 1 for each tone u may need, but each cymbal needs to be finely tuned, and still, u may not want that china to come on some of ur songs because its just to noticably incompatible with the rest.

"I personally wouldn't concern myself too much with tuning drums in most cases... unless the drums are very tonal and it seems necessary. If you can't tell if your drums are "out of tune" with your track, then it probably doesn't matter."

hmmmmm yea ok, that makes sense to follow your ears anyway, but I must say 1 drummer in ten actually knows how to tune his kit properly AND does it everytime he sits behind his kit.
Well that drummer makes a difference when he plays, and this dicipline usually reflects a true musician. Its not because you are a drummer that you are necessarily tone-def lol...

However, I also have noticed in several studio sessions that some engineers tend to muffle and pad all they can to give a very toneless sound, shorter and easier to play with during the mix. I am having a great but also exhausting time right now working on a premier snaredrum with beautiful harmonics, the only problem is that its not a jazz band but more a sorta heavy fusion rock thing lol. hard to make it come out in the mix, ... I even wonder if its not actually messing up with the rest. :P

Well, your comparison between a bass and a drum set is not really accurate. A bass is an instrument that is intentionally tonal and it is an instrument that is capable of and is intended to be able to produce every note in a chromatic scale (A,B,C,D,E,F,G, and all sharps and flats in between).

A drum set is a percussive instrument that is not intended to produce a full spectrum of pitches... in fact it may only have a kick and a snare and a hi hat.

Really not comparable at all in design or in usage.

Like I said before... you do tune a drum kit, but not for pitch... you tune it for the general sound you are trying to acheive.

Almost every drummer I record tunes their drums before doing a session. But once again, they don't tune it for pitch, they tune it for character. for example, to get a more "popping snare" or a "ringier" snare or "boomier" toms. And depending on what type of sound you want, you will muffle different drums different amounts depending on the way you want tohe drums to sound in the track.

I never said anything about drummers being tone deaf or untalented in any way... Drummers will tune their drums in very very exacting ways... but it is not generally to match pitches in a particular key. You tune a drum based on the resonance of the drum shells and the type of sound you want from them.

And as far as your problem you are currently having with your snare drum recording. That illustrates my point perfectly... you dont use a jazz snare for a rock track. You must tune your drum (and tape it up and muffle it, etc) for the character of the sound you are looking for (and after all that, you may even need a different snare that is physically constructed for the right sound.)

If I was going to record a metal song, I wouldn't use an acoustic guitar... and I don't care how much I tune my acoustic guitar, it will never have the right sound. I don't use a strat whan i want a Les Paul sound. I don't use a traditional piano when I want a Rhodes sound. I don't use an analog synth bass when I want an upright bass sound. I probably wouldn't play guitar using open chords for a metal song or bar chords for a folky acoustic song. I wouldnt play a guitar line in a high position on a low string when the sound character I am looking for is playing the same exact notes in the same exact octave in a low position on a high string.

also, different drummers have different ways they like to tune their drums to get their own characteristic or signature sound... the same way a guitarist will set his amplifier and guitar his own particular way to get the sound he is comfortable with... and it is all about the character of the sound.

Once again, for the people who came in late, when I talk about "tuning" drums not generally being important, I am talking about tuning their pitches to match your song. I am not talking about tuning them to themselves or tuning them the way a particular drummer likes his drums to sound, or tuning them for a particular character... all of that type of tuning, like I have already said, is very important.

o thnx for a lil light on this comment of urz conerning tuning, it makes more sense to me now lol.

as far as my headache is concerned with the snaredrum story, it wasnt my call, and the drummer threatened to hang me by the balls to the highest mic stand if I approached his snare with tape and pads... He just loves his drum, the way it sounds, and it does sound good for the very hybrid style of music they play... metal melted with psychedelic polka (no joke lol), but its just a pain in the arse to mix :P

nalesk said:
o thnx for a lil light on this comment of urz conerning tuning, it makes more sense to me now lol.

as far as my headache is concerned with the snaredrum story, it wasnt my call, and the drummer threatened to hang me by the balls to the highest mic stand if I approached his snare with tape and pads... He just loves his drum, the way it sounds, and it does sound good for the very hybrid style of music they play... metal melted with psychedelic polka (no joke lol), but its just a pain in the arse to mix :P

No problem!

And with regard again to yoursituation recording this drummer...

Recording is a tricky thing... especially for musicians who are not very experienced with recording. The way things sound in "the real world" are not necessarily the way they will sound "on tape." Very often you must change the way you play to get the sound you want, or change your sound to have is sound right on tape.

For example, you may have the best hard distortion sound coming out of your amp live, but when you record it, that amp may sound too fuzzy... you willneed to adjust the sound so it will sound similar on tape to how you are used to it sounding live.

Singers have to get used to not holding the mic when they record and standing a particular distance from the mic that they may not be used to.

And, most imortantly to your situation, with drums, sometimes you must put tape on the drums to dampen the ringing because the mic picks the sound up in a different way than the ear hears it...and by dampening the drums, you can come up with an outcome that sounds more like the sound he is used to it sounding than if you just left it the way it usually was...

it takes some trial and error to figure the sound out.

Man, this thread has gone into some petty stuff considering its nature.

Primarily, I write Dance orientainted music and for me tuning individual drum sounds is part and parcel of the production process and always has been.

Ok, I am talking about me and the sort of music I produce, which is Progressive House, UK Garage and Electro. I sometimes write other stuff but my poinr of interest lies in the drum 'tuning' part of this argument.

As an electronic based producer, pitching for me is an absolute must. Drums just don't fall into place by the grace of God! ( Err thats why there are pitch controls on drum machines! )

It's a different story for live drums and is not included in my argument-and my argument being that electronic based rhythms benefit by some fine tuning of individual sounds. It's undeniable, unless you are completely tone friggin deaf!

I was interested in this thread a while ago and got rather bored after it turned into a ***** fest, so I haven't read a lot further than the sensible posts, so sorry if I am covering 'old ground'.

Anyway, tune your drums / Don't tune your drums. That's pretty much it isnt it at the end of the day and if the truth be told, I'd say, don't tune them because then, my drums will sound better than yours! Heh,heh!

Delphine said:
No, not at all. Don't try to analyse the drum sounds by finding out how a wave editor will pitch them. It's really quite simple.

Your ears should tell you if something is wrong. If you have a metallic snare ring off the snare drum and it sound odd, or you just dont like it. Just mess around with the pitch control and see if it sits any better at other pitches. Really that's just it. There's no need to try and find out what pitch an audio program detects it at.

You aint gotta tune them into any 'key' whatsoever, just try some fine tweaking to see if things sit better using the best tools around............Your ears!!!!Lol.

Subconciously too, after you have some musical direction down and tonality, then you want to add more percussion, you tend to choose from complimentary percussive tones. Its nothing more than you knowing it fits in comfortably with the track.

All the best!

Jay.

I am guessing you are not talking about "Pitching" your drums to notes in the song (when you say "pitching [drums] is an absolute must"), unless you have changed your ideas on drum tuning since this other earlier post of yours that I am quoting here...

The post in the quote all sounds pretty reasonable to me, but you seem to be saying something different in your new post.

...and, by the way, I am talking about electronic music as well as live drums... both have been talked about in detail here.

have any of you guys tried pitching all your drums to the same note and make a beat like that??

well if u have, you'll no it sucks... so there aint much point pitching drums if u ask me...

hmm there must be a point to tune them ... for example so that it doesnt suck (in case they are all at the same pitch for example).

dvyce said:

I am guessing you are not talking about "Pitching" your drums to notes in the song (when you say "pitching [drums] is an absolute must")

Absolutely not, no. I think that idea is clearly ludicrous.

I'm just talking about a bit of fine tweaking here and there if need be, no more, no less.

As a drummer I have to agree and disagree with tuning the kit to reflect the pitch of a track.

Yeah - it can be a good idea with long tones and also can help make an over all song blend, but you also have to remember that drums themselves can't really be exact pitched and the really explosive sounds are so thick with over tones that it's almost impossible to choose just one to root on.

I always thought it more important to chose the drum itself for the track rather than the drum's pitch. In an alt/rock sitch, I would never think of tuning the drum to the track but chosing the sound that reflects it best. Too many character use the same sound through everything, like a drum is just something to keep time.

Remember that 1) overly tuned drums often sound overly produced (and less like a real drummer, if that's even a consideration) and 2) quite frequently it's the clash in tones that make a drum stand out or push the way it does.

I guess the rule is, just as that wise person posted earlier - you just gotta use your ear...

- s1k

To lazy to read the whole post so I hope this isnt just a repetition. To see in what "key" your drum hit is in just check at wich freq the sound peaks. Thers your tone. same with all instruments.

agreed. drums do not have definetive pitch, but they do have frequencies as do pitched instruments becarful not to mix frequencies it will lead to a very muddy or cluttered sound.

Beforehand on a SP-1200, you must tune them jointz.

Mpc's and asr's you can do it later.

drum Headz, Stand up!

From reading, it sounds like we have two different discussions going on:

1.) Tuning melodic drum samples (808, tom pads, etc) so that they are complementary to the rest of the composition.

2.) Tuning acoustic drums to mix with the rest of a layered band or recording.

In either case, it's possible to tune the sounds to where they either "sing" or "honk" with other elements of the scape. When producing live acoustic drums, generally the drums are more subdued, gated, compressed or physically muffled by means of tape etc to gain a more percussive "hit" instead of tone. When producing with electronic drums however, because there is more separation and control over the individual sounds of the collective kit, we get to play around a little more with sustain, decay and actual notes without interfering too much with the other layers.

As always, experimentation is key to finding what will work in your setting.

Tuning drums live is not practical.. Unless you're using a drum machine...In the studio you can and it will sound a million times better! Even to the untrained ear!

Snare and bass are not that important although remember that a bass drum should be tuned up to hear lower end freq. This is because of the limitations of human hearing!

Check what key you are in and tune the toms as follows..

Lo tom = Key Tonic (first scale note)

Mid tom = third

Hi tom = Fifth above tonic

Hey presto melodic drums. On a real kit both skins should be tuned to the same pitch.

any adjustment made to drums must be subtle, as overpitching will distort the sound: unless u trying to be creative.

as i always say, Anything that sounds good, be satisfied with it. If an adjustment sounds better, Work with it

Last edited:
HELLO ALL ,NOT THAT I KNOW MUCH ABOUT TECHNO OR THE LIKE BUT I AM A DRUMMER OF 25 PLUS YEARS AND HAVE EXPERIMENTED WITH TUNNING OVER THE YEARS WITH MANY VARRIOUS TECHNIQUES BUT WHAT IT REALLY COMES DOWN TO IS THAT THEY FIT THE GROOVE...THAT ALL IMPORTANT HUMAN FACTOR THAT SEEMS TO BE MISSING IN TODAYS MUSIC....I WORKED WITH JIM VALLANCE...OF BRIAN ADAMS/AEROSMITH ECT. FAME ...HE'S A DRUMMER TOO BY THE WAY ...I REMEMBER HIM MENTIONING THAT IF YOU LOOK BACK AT ALL OF THE GREAT TUNES THE ONE THING THEY USUALLY HAD IN COMMON WAS THE SNARE AND KICK PITCHES WERE USUALLY SOMEWHAT CONSISTENTLY THE SAME ....GO LISTEN TO SOME OF YOUR OLD CLASSICS YOULL SEE WHAT I MEAN...THE ONLY OTHER THING THAT I FIND IS ALOT OF DRUM FILLS DONT FIT MAYBE 'CAUSE THEY WERE WRITEN BY PEOPLE WHO DONT PLAY/UNDERSTAND DRUMS ....BUT REALLY WITH A LITTLE STUDY AND SOME PATIENCE WRITTING DRUM TRACKS CAN VASTLY IMPROVE A REALLY GOOD SONG IN TO A REALLY GREAT SONG !!!! GOOD LUCK AND GOOD WRITTING!!!!!..GREYSTOKE!

I think that sure if your kick and your bass line are out of tune then of course you should tune them. As for tweaking the pitch of every hi hat and for that matter snare…I think it is easy to lose the forest for the trees. A lot of crunchy hip hop type snares don't have much ring to them and therefore unless it sounds obviously off I wouldn’t sweat it….no one else will except for other producers (if that) and you will drive yourself nuts trying to please every "producer" you meet on the web? On the other hand, if you have a nice ringy-woody sounding snare then you will probably want to fine tune it a little bit because by virtue of its timbre it will have more opportunity to be off in the first place….that is compared to the highly compressed somewhat distorted snare in the first example.

The only other thing I can add is that a little bit of a "punk rock" attitude doesn’t hurt. In early rock music and in puck rock there was a minimum of pretention about so many of the musical details we blather on about. In the way that someone used to pick up a guitar that is more or less in tune and bang out a quick song…we could go back to a little less anal retentive approach to making beats. Sure an occasion sound will be a little out of tune here and there but maybe we would have more fun and put more focus on the song…Just some thoughts.

Sean Maru

hi tweakers!

In my own xp in elec. prod. and band recordings, a little dissonance (non-harmonic) can be just what is needed...and can make things stand out from the crowd (even slightly out of tune)... why would people use square wave then?

too many people using numbers instead of ears...trust the feel/sound! and experiment...and CLOSE YOUR EYES!

Tuning everything seems very padantic (as in hats etc)

on an accoustic note (pun) if you want your toms to dive in pitch (tabla feel), loosen one lug a bit. i've also experimented with miking toms from underneath with good results.

can do the same thing in elec. with pitch bend...(automate and bounce)

hope this is informative
DAMO :bat:

TUNING YOUR DRUMLOOPS DEPENDS ON YOUR BASSLINE OR OTHER MELODY.IF YOU HAVER A BASSLINE OR MELODY IN THE MIDDLE"C" OR ABOVE, YOUR KICK DRUM OCTAVE SHOULD FOLLOW ACCORDINGLY

Back