tuning drums

EBE725

hey guys, what is the best way to match the tune of kick and snare drums in a track. do u guys just go through all your drums and just use trial and error to see which drums go with what sample? or is there a way to tune a snare drum to match a kick?

U can actually tune your drums in reason if u don't have the ear for it. If u use the Samplers pull up a drum sound in a zone and then go to edit I believe and then set root note from pitch detection.

You can def. tune the individual drum samples...most samplers have the option to tune the sample up or down in pitch...I find it is mainly trial and error...take a listen to songs with acoutic drums and listen to how the tones compare with one another...you can do the same with any song, but it's better to get the idea from what could be called the source...

it's really a matter of taste...just mess around with it until they both seem to "go" together....It's normally easier for me to find one drum sound that I def. like the way it is...I then make the other samples go with that...

^^^Yup, that's basically the way I do it too, and if you're using Redrum to construct beat's that's really the only to do it, with the pitch control. One of the problems I run into with drum tuning is it will sound great at it's default pitch like it's gonna fit perfectly, but when I tune it up it loses it's character so I have to scrap it. Ya but it takes practice to tell when it's off..

Back