Trying to re-make "Touched", got a few questions

CowboyClyde

Hey all,
I've been trying to re-create "Touched" by What So Not:

I have a couple of broad questions about re-creating a track, as well as some specific ones in relation to this track:
Broad Questions:
1. To what extent do you try to re-create the track?
Like should I be trying to get every single little detail from the song? Or just the meat of the track?
Reason I ask this, is because some of the stuff, I am completely oblivious of how I would re-create it, like the vocal hum/chant happening in the intro and also the atmospheric sounds like the thunder in the beginning and the rain sound...?

2. For those who re-create tracks often? Whats your general work flow?

Specific Questions:
1. I recently bought Sylenth1 and I want to use it as much as possible in re-creating this song, just so I can start getting more familiar with it.
I am trying to make the main intro. lead (you can hear it from :11 - :49)
Here is a video of what I have got so far:
AS you can see, I was able to get closer to the sound with a different synth (Primer) and I can't seem to carry it over to Sylenth....

In Primer:
OSC 1 (Sq. Wave) > LP Filter > Adjusted ADSR > Also played with Filter Env and spread the voices to make the sound "wider"

In Sylenth, I tried to do the same thing BUT it's still has a really buzzy sound vs a hollow sound. Also, I don't think I am manipulating the Filter Cutoff properly to rise/fade out like it does in the original sound....
How do I hollow out the sound properly?
How do I adjust the Filter Env. properly?

Back