Trying to confirm which note doesn't fit with the others.

aceover9

So I'm working on this number that's a bit more complex than I am probably ready for. And it's not even that complex.

Either way I thin the song is in the key of E. But I'm not sure.

Either way I'm messing around with a bass line that is descending notes. Sort of using it as a test to see what sound right. Sucky part is my ears suck at hearing bass and the headphones I have don't help (just got some new monitors but they aren't available at the moment).

So here are the notes I think work in this song (not in descending order).

Either the group of: A - B - C# - D# - E - F# - G#

OR

The group of: A# - B - C# - D# - E - F# - G#

I sat at a piano for a while and I think it's the first group but I don't know why I am having so much trouble determining which "A" fits. A or A sharp. Is there some general rule? Is it one of those notes where either one can fit and it just depends on how the song is coming along? Anyone have any ideas?

So I'm working on this number that's a bit more complex than I am probably ready for. And it's not even that complex.

Either way I'm messing around with a bass line that is descending notes. Sort of using it as a test to see what sound right. Sucky part is my ears suck at hearing bass and the headphones I have don't help (just got some new monitors but they aren't available at the moment).

OR

I sat at a piano for a while and I think it's the first group but I don't know why I am having so much trouble determining which "A" fits. A or A sharp. Is there some general rule? Is it one of those notes where either one can fit and it just depends on how the song is coming along? Anyone have any ideas?
First group.
The key of E major (which I presume you are working in, you didn't say) has 4 sharps: F#, C#, G#, D#
The raised 4th (A#) in the second group is not wrong, though. It would give you a Lydian feel, but that might not be the sound you want.

problem may be that the A works in some parts and the A# works in other parts, which would suggest a secondary dominant chord of F#7 leading to B7 leading E

the F#7 is a borrowed chord from the parallel Lydian mode (or more likely the key of B which is the dominant of E (chord V))

e.g. the progression F#7-B7-E would be rendered as V7-of-V - V7 - I as a Roman Numeral progression

OR

Working in the key of E, you will definitely want to be hitting A, and not A Sharp. So go with the first group.

The second group is slightly off from being in the key of of A# minor, though. You would just have to change the E to E# (aka F).

So which mood to you want, E major or the relatively gloomy sounding A# Minor? Just make the adjustments above

The second group is slightly off from being in the key of of A# minor, though. You would just have to change the E to E# (aka F).

This is not A# minor but B major starting on the A# (The OP said the notes were not in any particular order other than alphabetic)

B-C#-D#-E-F#-G#-A#-B 5 sharps so B major which is why I suggested that the A# was suggestive of borrowed harmony

if it were A# minor then it would be

A#-B#-C#-D#-E#-F#-G#-A# i.e. 7 sharps (or all notes are sharp)

Back