Trouble making drum sound, please help.

FLUX10

I am currently making a song and am looking to replicate a sound used in a song called '89 by Cera Alba, it's a great song and I think I have the gist of the sound, it is made up of what sounds to be a deep kick and a Tom over the top, but I have no idea how it makes the sound it does and I have tried replicating it, but have had no luck. It is the main bass drum sound when the song starts and it continues throughout the song. I use ableton live suite and use a push 2, I also have massive if that helps. I'm also keen to find out how the synth noise at the start of that song is made, sounds like a static noise but it's great. If anyone knows how to make these sounds it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
He's taking a really fat (wide) sounding analog, electronic kick--maybe pitched down a bit. Now, it does sound mostly electronic, but I personally believe that there is a layered acoustic drum beneath it to establish more presence and "fullness" to the sound, perhaps some slight distortion added.

It very well could be an electronic tom drum that is triggered a step after the kick drum to get that sort of "delayed" effect that is making it more of a pumping or beating sound. But it could also be another bass drum with the velocity turned way down to be a sort of ghost bass drum, just after.

He's also layering some noise in there with the bass drum to add an additional rhythm element to the drum track.

Alot of the "thump" and response he is getting from that kick (in my opinion) is being done in the compression and mixing stages. In order to get a proper response concerning those techniques, there are much more qualified members than myself to answer that...

I am usually operating solely on how things sound at this point, with only a novice understanding of the logic and theory behind it, so I am unable to provide a decent explanation without you sitting and watching me do it. I am a visual learner and teacher, mostly.

I don't know if you can tag members to solicit a response but...
DarkRed, you got a second to take a look at this?

Last edited:
Back