Trouble keeping my hip-hop the same beat all the way thru

djpaddedroom

Is this just basic? Maybe I can't figure it out but for the life of me I always want to make a song SO much different for the chorus when there's tried and true to just add a couple accompaniment s and keep the beat basixallythe back same.

This is more of a matter of personal taste than anything else. If you think your music sounds good with a more contrasting chorus, go for it. If you think it's too inconsistent, then don't

Last edited:
I don't think it's a bad thing, you don't need to fit in with all other hip hop makers, the switch up in pace could be a specific trait of yours that attract a niche of people, at least that's my opinion !

I know what you mean, for sure. I have had a few beats lately that I initially thought all parts were dope, but then when I listened a few days later, felt it could simply do without one part or the other and edited accordingly. Revisiting the project after a few days to get an alternative perspective is a good idea.

Side note, Alice Cooper does unconventional chord progressions/changes and he is very revered/respected and is extremely skilled as a writer.

Post an example of what you are doing and we can be much more specific with feedback.

Obviously it needs to have some changes and variation but that's only in a broader sense of song structure. For example, Chorus/Verse/Chorus/Verse/Chorus structure would have three sections that are the same since the chorus stays the same. So don't change the choruses sometimes you can literally keep it exactly the same each time. (in this case 3 times). That's how you can keep the beat the same throughout because it is literally the same xD

The verses are where you add some variation so work on those some. Verse 1 is different than Verse 2. So don't overthink it, "keeping it all the way through" will come naturally as you build your choruses.

Back