trouble with hip hop melody vibes

srnykayn

It feels like every hip hop melody I make is very upbeat and perhaps 'gay'. I can never find sounds I like and I'm constantly searching (for vst's). When I finally obtain a sound I'm looking for, the melody comes out sounding like a childrens song rather than a hip hop beat. Any suggestions on how to make better melodies?

You can try to use Minor Scales if you want a sad feel.
And the Major Scale if you want a more happy feel.

But it helps if you learn about Chords and Scales
And you can watch some youtube videos on how to play songs you like.

Here is a site.
free-online-piano-lessons .(com)

( Cant post links yet )

Last edited:
i hear ya i have a similar problem, so i got my lil nephew to spit some verses over that stuff. its hilarious.

in all seriousness what i do is try to recreate a melody from a song that I like, after doing that a few hundred times you start figure out what usually "works" as far as making a melody goes and you can either modify a few notes of what you were making, or make your own. yeah my advice sucks sorry.

no.. thats great advice.

thats what im gonna do for now.
is to imitate melodies and eventually i'll have an idea of what works.

ive actually done the same exact thing for qquite a while. ive actually taken songs and put them in fl studio so i can match my snare drums with theirs and find out the exact tempo they use and start trying to completely recreate their beat, usually after i work on that project for a little bit ill start actually comin up with my own melodies and by the time im done it doesnt sound like the same beat but it has the same feel to it. also, yes, definitely do some research on music theory. as bmusic6 said, minor cords usually have a darker feel to them and major usually seems more happy... usually, not always. plus dimininshed, diminished7 and augmented chords are good for building suspense but theyre not usually good for ending.

---------- Post added 02-26-2011 at 05:32 AM ---------- Previous post was 02-25-2011 at 07:49 AM ----------

also, alot of times, when your beat your beat has that "happy" feel when you dont want it to means that your beat is just too cluttered. quite often if you mute some of the instruments youll realize that the mood youre trying to capture is actually right there but it just doesnt sound full enough. try doing that, mute some of your instruments, pads etc... and if thats the case and they just dont sound full enough try to layer the instruments you want to sound more full in the piano roll. like if your strings have an A-C-E-G progression set at C4, copy and paste them at C3 and C2 and bring out some fullness to your track. this makes it easier to capture the mood by having to play less instruments at the same time. When your beat is too cluttered it almost always seems to have that "happy" feel to it so its a good possibility thats what your problem is. if you notice alot of hip hop beats are actually very basic and only have a couple instruments playing at the same time. your drums and bassline also seem to help create the mood your trying to go for on a more subliminal level.

^Everything said before about scales is good advice.LEarning to mix in minor chords can definitely help.

As far as VSTs go,start thinking about instruments that will give you a darker feel.Sometimes its not even the melody but the instrument being used that has to be changed.Things like violins cellos and distorted synths can all help give a darker feel

im not really looking to learn how to make happy or dark style beats, i pretty much understand that. im just saying that my beats come out way too happy. like sounding like a childs song. or a gay pride song.

i dont really get what you want people to help you out with that already hasnt been explained. maybe its your drum pattern/sample choices? i have the same problem sometimes, thats when i just scrap it and change it up

im trying to say that my melodies sound good, very catchy perhaps even, but the vibe that they give off is very gay or childish. i don't want to make a sad beat but i don't want my songs sounding so happy. how do you make the in betweens?

this could be from a number of things so its hard to tell. like too many drums, tempo too fast, too many instruments, the wrong type of instruments, wrong chords, its really hard to tell without listening to them. post a link to one of your songs and someone could probably help alot more.

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

its easier to find out youself by process of elimination. mute your drums. see if it has the feel you want without them if it does its your drums. then start muting instruments vst's etc.., same thing. if after all of this it still isnt the mood youre trying to capture its most likely your chord progressions but post a link when you can

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

even well placed hi hats can change the overall mood to your song believe it or not. thats why this question is hard to answer without hearing an example

Back