Trouble Bringing Melodies To Life?

URICGMEZ

I've recently been studying a ton on music theory and starting to play the piano since i recently bought one. Before that i would usually do piano roll on FL mess around and make whatever comes to mind with the knowledge that i had. most of my beats don't seem to feel special too me, none sound like i would actually like them to sound. and when i play my beats to others they say they're fine but too me i feel like they dont have the excitement that i seek... Anyways, I've always had a hard time putting instruments together when i produce. i know that doing too much and over complicating my projects is one of my flaws. but i would at least love to have 3-4 different tones and sounds playing. i have a hard time getting these melodies to play with each other, i heard its like these instruments should sound like as if they are conversing with one another. how can i practice and become better at piecing and harmonizing patterns? any ideas on how i can improve? i would love to take music theory and learn better but i can't afford any kind of classes. if someone can give me links or even books that would work or any tips or ideas that someone could throw out would be great! thanksssssss!!!

This might sound off the wall, but I learned a lot by studying Bach, especially his fugues. The idea of a fugue is that there are different "voices" playing different parts...they might be the same instrument, or different, but they have that quality of a "conversation" between them. It's cool that you get that idea already, because it's important to any style of music...you want the listener to feel like all those parts, even if they are "saying" different things, are speaking in a way that makes its own sense, and communicates something unified.

Back