Trapstep

Spud388

Another food for thought thread. As always, I have my own ideas on this subject, but you guys always give me new ideas and opinions to think about.

So, most of you have probably noticed the gradual merging of rap music and edm influences. But perhaps less of you have heard about the pretty new movement to take the combination of the two to its fullest extent. (Note: despite the name, it's not necessarily a mixture of dubstep and trap, specifically)

Anyways, have any of you tried this? Are there any thoughts you have, experiences incorporating edm sounds into raps, etc? Or do you not think this is a legit style? I'm curious to hear you guys' thoughts.

Last edited:
To each their own, I always find it interesting hearing how music grows and changes through time. Im not always a fan of all of it, but its interesting to hear it grow. Much like comparing hiphop through the decades.

Listening to that makes me wish I hadn't listened to that.

That's a fair opinion, and i completely get where you're coming from. I know it's not for everyone; I guess I'm just interested in keeping up with where music is going and how its developing, and maybe that's what makes this all this interesting to me.

Last edited:
You should probably download the Lex Luger drum kit, watch some youtube tuts on producing trap music, and experiment by replacing orchestra sounds with synthesized "electronic" samples. Tbh Star Slinger has been doing this kinda thing for a while now, so this "movement" is not that new. This seems more like a trendy sound and less like the "Birth of a genre"; Replacing traditional electronic drum instruments with pitched 808s and rolling hit hats isn't gonna magically make your music standout especially with the onslaught of trapstep remixes that are gonna arriving in the coming months. Focus on developing your own unique sound and people will still love your music even after all the bandwagon producers fall off. :D

Back