Trap music question!!

Gkm214

When producing trap beats, is it good to put all of the instrumentals in the background and all the drums and 808's on top??? I kinda hear that alot on lex luger beats at times......

kind of. for the beats - no not really. the power is in the drama of the sound and the power of the hits. once vocals show up in the mix, all those orchestral stabs and midrange instruments tend to get pushed back a bit to make room for the vocals. there's a good example on my website.

Weiss Sound » Portfolio Genre

the top track is GP, Gorilla Zoe, produced by Sonny Digital. I did the mixing and mastering - though eventually I'll be having Chris Athens remaster it.

Thanks for your help! So you're saying that i shouldnt do it for a beat but instead do it when a rapper is about too rap on it?

Thanks for your help! So you're saying that i shouldnt do it for a beat but instead do it when a rapper is about too rap on it?

Pretty much. What I'm saying is the drums should be big and forward, but don't push the instruments too far back for just the beat. That energy is what's going to attract and inspire the rappers.

yeah... on trap beats I always leave the instrumental kinda in the back... and leave more room for percussion... and also leave a little headroom on the master track... for vocals...

well... leaving headroom for the master track is just basically going to the mixer and lowering the level of the master track... I usually do it for -2db or -3db.. depending on the beat.... check out my beats in my signature.. trap style... maybe you'll like 'em!!!

They sound the coolest the whole time. Just non-stop. It sounds best if you multiply the tempo by 4, space out all your other sounds so it sounds the exact same, but then just fill with snare rolls. AMAZING.

I'm so mad. I tend to like when the hats speed up leading up to the snare hit there. I have yet to create a cool slow down speed up effect with overdone hi hat rolls. Lol

So Weiss Sound did Sonny send you the wav files for you to mix this beat with the vocals?

Moar about trap music! share your tips. Where do the hi hat rolls sound coolest?
It depends. When I make a track I make all of the instruments play off of each other, so my snare rolls come in a different times relative to different instruments. There is a lot of experimentation involved.

Back