Trap music

GNUS

Okay I know there are a lot of threads on trap music. But my main question is how do they play the individual notes to make them sound good? Like do they play out the minor scale in a different variation? Any help with this would be appreciated

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think key changes are fairly rare in electronic music. Honestly, I can't speak for someone who knows theory, but as someone who doesn't know theory I don't think that not knowing theory is a problem when it comes to stuff like this, if you're wondering.
If you want to be lazy, like me, you should learn what different scales sort of sound like, then when you need to, just google what notes are in the scale of a certain key. Once you have that, play around with it. Before long it shouldn't take you long to come up with something you like.
As a starting point, if we're talking dark, evil sounding trap, you should check out the harmonic minor scale. As far as I know, it's sort of the standard for trap.
Also, individual notes on their own mean nothing. Individual notes aren't music, it's an interval between two notes or a series of intervals that gives music it's character (an interval is the distance between one note and another, and when I say distance I don't mean over time, I mean in terms of pitch).

I'm sorry if this information is relevant to what you're asking, your question is very vague and I can try to help you more if you elaborate.

Last edited:
People really think about all this stuff?? When I make a song, although it's not usually trap, I just kind of experiment in Piano Roll View. What software do you use?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think key changes are fairly rare in electronic music. Honestly, I can't speak for someone who knows theory, but as someone who doesn't know theory I don't think that not knowing theory is a problem when it comes to stuff like this, if you're wondering.
If you want to be lazy, like me, you should learn what different scales sort of sound like, then when you need to, just google what notes are in the scale of a certain key. Once you have that, play around with it. Before long it shouldn't take you long to come up with something you like.
As a starting point, if we're talking dark, evil sounding trap, you should check out the harmonic minor scale. As far as I know, it's sort of the standard for trap.
Also, individual notes on their own mean nothing. Individual notes aren't music, it's an interval between two notes or a series of intervals that gives music it's character (an interval is the distance between one note and another, and when I say distance I don't mean over time, I mean in terms of pitch).

I'm sorry if this information is relevant to what you're asking, your question is very vague and I can try to help you more if you elaborate.

forgive me, but blindly leading the blind is no help.

yes I am a theory guru,but it is because I understand how it can help that I urge beginners to learn as much as they can cope with - it takes decades to have mastery of some facets and even more - I am still studying some 26 years after finishing my composition degree because there is always something new to learn

Learn chords. Scales don't mean squat, really.

except that scales are the building blocks for chords (I know that yu can build a chord without reference to a scale, but their foundation generally within a key/mode and certainly when discussing function it is key/mode based which means that it is scale/mode based).

For any given chord there are a multitude of scales that can be used over them (jazz theory and such)

Could you explain this? I'd say scales are better to learn and give you more options/freedom in choosing notes.

yes and no, see above.....

Okay I know there are a lot of threads on trap music. But my main question is how do they play the individual notes to make them sound good? Like do they play out the minor scale in a different variation? Any help with this would be appreciated

playing as scales, playing as arpeggios of the chord (chord tones played one after the other rather than together, aka broken chords), combinations, melodic devices such as those discussed here - https://www.futureproducers.com/for...ideos/14-tricks-improve-your-melodies-386637/ will make your melodies more interesting

@bandcoach i read the 14 tricks to melodies i feel though you could simplify it more

Back