Trap Hi Hats. How do they get that sound?

JordanHarris

I'm pretty new to making beats and and wondering how to make these hi hats in a lot of trap and hip hop. For example the hi hats in ASAP Ferg - Work. I haven't had any luck finding any good samples that are free. If anyone knows where to find some that would be awesome. I've been making hi hats using the drum synths in Maschine 2.0 and I can make some hi hats that are similar to what I'm looking for but there's something I'm missing. I know how to sequence them but I just need them to sound better and have that feel to them. They're really important for the flow of a rap song. Help me out if you can.

What do you mean by chop them up? Yeah I've been trying a bunch of different effects inside Maschine but I can't get what I'm looking for. I'll just have to experiment more. Does anyone layer hi hats?

Try making the Hi Hat shorter. You can do this with any Hi Hat. Look for a decay knob and take it all the way down until there's almost no sound. Then slowly increase the decay amount until you get that snappy sound you want. Remember, the shorter the sound, the snappier it'll sound.

Try making the Hi Hat shorter. You can do this with any Hi Hat. Look for a decay knob and take it all the way down until there's almost no sound. Then slowly increase the decay amount until you get that snappy sound you want. Remember, the shorter the sound, the snappier it'll sound.
And also make sure the polyphony is 1, it won't matter too much if it's already short but it'll tighten up your rolls

Anyone have any good hi hat samples or know where to get them? But yeah I already know about the decay and polyphonic but thanks though.

Download a Lex Luger Drum Kit and the hats are there. I do this kinda shit all the time in my music.

I watched the video and yo that ho in that video needa shave her arm pits I threw up in my mouth a smidge.

Everyone's right about shortening up the sample but make sure to completely EQ off all the low end, 150-200hz and below (which should be almost completely absent anyways since its a hi-hat). Maybe also add a tiny bit of reverb in the high end. If I were to take this on I would layer 3 short hi-hats and then convert that into 1 sample then just shorten that, then eq all low end, and ad tiny bit of reverb. And use a vst called M-ST M-ST Mono-Stereo VST Plugin to fill the stereo space. :D

The only control you will find for the closed hihat on a TR-808 drum machine is the volume level knob, there is no decay knob because unlike the open hihat a closed hihat is supposed to be short by nature......now because the closed hihat can't be tweaked on a TR-808 it tends to be a consistent stock sound, unlike a snare for example which has knobs for tone and snappy.

Even back when dinosaurs roamed the earth farting out bone rattling Bass music it was common practice to sample the TR-808 into an SP1200 to manipulate pitch and time.....and that's all there is to it....not a lot has changed really.

Post a video so we can get an idea of what sound your looking for. Although I still tihnk its better to try coming up with new ideas instead of recycling old ones used all the time. I made a video on how I made my hi hats different using a chorus plugin, Check it out here

Back