Trap beat sequencing composition?

Legendary Beats

So I've gotten fairly good at trap beats (at least from what i've been told) and recently I've been running into some problems regarding how to make it sound good.
My melody is fine, but I'm debating on whether to use the frequently-used tactic of playing the same notes just a key or two upwards or downwards after 8 or so bars/measures. It sounds better in my opinion without it but I feel that it would give the beat more flavor if it was played two keys down. Anyone have any tips, input or surefire ways of determining how to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

I decided to let it stay in the same key the whole time. Thanks though. Also, recently whenever I've been exporting my beats to WAV files they sound muffled and the bass covers most of the other instruments. Any ideas?

1) Your problem of it not sounding as good is probably down to use notes not in your main scale when you do move the melody down or up. Some daws allow you to enable a feature called moved notes stay in same key - if you have this as a preference tick it and try again. You also need to consider whether you are moving the notes up or down simply for the sake of doing so or because you want to truly hear something new. If the latter then make sure that you are changing the note names by 2 letters going up or down - in some cases you may need to change them by 3 note name letters to keep them in tune with your chords.....

2) with your wav files you may have something enabled in the export chain that is cutting freq over a certain value - investigate your daws export chaing to understand further.......

My website bandcoach.org has been suspended by my hosting provider (most likely because they mean something different to me in terms of their unlimited bandwidth unlimited storage offer)... I'm working on it, but may in fact cancel the deal and go elsewhere if they continue to create trouble over a term that they use to get customers in the first place......

Update on this situation soon

Last edited:
Back