Trance Compostion...how to

DjG said:

As i mentioned before this forum is built in the spirit of cooperation and communication of knowledge and ideas, that is why is called a "community"...and even if someone is "ignorant" or "lazy" enough to post such a "dumb" question such as "what is midi" should be respected. In such case if you deem the question to "stupid" for your attention then refrain from reading it or posting on it.

Total agree with you.
And it's good you at least got something you where looking for when you wrote this thread. (y)

u know what AlurOne! how about if i don't even ask a question and we live it as:

Trance Composition Techniques

or Trance Composition Tips/Discussion

actually it doesn't even have to be Trance...but i think this thread is right on track and doing what i hoped it would achieved and that is a pot stewing a bunch of great ideas and tips from a number of you. Thank you for your imput.

One thing that is rather inspiring and interesting to ponder at the same time is the sheer simplicity of a few trance melodies I've heard and experimented with. There is the occasional melody that is more complex, and seems to draw elements of several different choords of the scales it moves from, but...

From my experience, the savior of simple melodic looping is... pads. The kinda spice up the background, especially when you transpose the bassline to rejuvinate the main synth lines.

This reply isn't anything to do with composition but still relevant...

If you are producing trance then it is definitely worth downloading the fantastic SuperwaveP8 synthesiser! It is a good soft synth emulation of the Roland JP80*0 series of synths and is a very good soundalike of this great synthesiser! It is also free so there is absolutely nothing to stop you!

Happy Days!

DjG said:
"The musical notes are only five in number but their melodies are so numerous that one cannot hear them all"
Sun Tzu, Art of War 5:8
Nice quote.

I know this is an old thread now but i think this is exactly what the original question was looking for
mos.futurenet.com/pdf/computermusic.co.uk/trance3
the second page is great reference for any beginners to trance production

put .pdf at the end of the link

Well, I know it's an old thread, but for what it's worth:

What I used to do is load a song I liked in my DAW in a seperate audio track, and then mimic the structure as I made my own song. It's a usefull technique if you want a fixed structure, but I stopped doing it. I feel it somehow takes away the "creative feel" and your sense of experimentation. But for an absolute newb it may be helpful to learn the basics... After that I think everyone will start to experiment with structure and do their own thing eventually... Just believe in your own artistic feel and you'll get the hang of it...

Back