''Training Your Ear''

K

Kowst

I don't understand what people mean when they say ''train your ear''

is it necessary? and what does it do??

It's the most nessesary part to your music. "Training your ear consists of getting to the point where you can hear and correct flaws in your music. When your ear is trained you can easily say "that needs to be compressed" or "pan this to the right" to get the professional sound you want.

Another part to training your ear is being able to say "this beat is missing something" or "even though this beat is basic, its perfect for the mainstream audience", ect.

Listen. And isolate details. It's really a mental zone out thing really. You won't notice no changes soon, but you'll get to the point where you can isolate details in the mix, problems, things you like....etc.

You'll get to the point where you can hear all the layers that go into a track and etc..

All comes with listening and imitating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah man. You think Dre and Veto make those sonically superior mixes in some days or so? Takes years...

Don't just stop there man. You can train your ear in other ways to. One is training it to recognize notes and chords in songs. That way if you want to recreate a sample or find out how Jimi rocked the guitar in a song, it'll come easy.

There are CD's that can help you with that. Most of them are for singing and what not, but having a voice doesn't hurt at all.

Ok, so you have any recommendations? or know where I could find some of stuff on training my ears?

Try this

Even though I produce rockbands this helpt me perfecting my inner and outer hearing quite a bit.
- Get your hands of a copy of Bach´s "Goldberg variations" (yes, baroque music) played by Glenn Gould.
- Listen to it every day for a month or two.
- After some time you start to remember and recognize parts and you can maby sing along separately melody, bassline etc just by repetedly listening to it.
When that happens, you know that something is developing, keep doing it over and over.
If you get bored, change CD, but not too soon.

Chao, Foxy

Amazon has lots of choices. The one I was talkin' about is at the bottom of the list and has a lot of good reviews.

Last edited:
haha yeah ear training is vital to producing!

I mean.... ever since I started making music and recording raps, Ive been changin my ears from a "casual listener" to a "producer". Its crazy I listen to songs to soley anaylize them, not so much for enjoyment. Its at the point where I can tell easily where professional artists (including eminem) do there punch ins (sooo obvious) and where I can here overdubbs that are completely off. It actually bothers me that I can hear all that.... takes alot of magic out of a good song.

This is going to sound wierd but honestly in rap... the most professional sounding artists ive heard to date is ICP. They come so confident on their flows and when they do overdubb (very rare) there on point. And I cant really ever tell when they punchin with their lines. Their producer must be crazy good! AIGHT IM DONE!

Hmmm....

*I didn't read every reply, but I'm pretty positive that "training your ear" is associated with PITCH above all else. You can train your ear to know what octave/pitch adjustments you need to make the sounds in your project match up.

- Again, I don't know if anybody else mentioned PITCH, but I'm 99% sure that this is the correct answer. Some of you said that it's more toward 'zoning out' - but "training your ear" is an old saying. I'm rolling with pitch and the ability to find what you need via the octaves of your keyboard...

Back