tools for sound desgin?

sansansan

Hey FP, I have been getting a lot of good information here (thanks bandcoach esp) and now i want to learn more about sound design.

So how do i start? what instruments can i make with sine, saw, etc..

what plugins can i use to make my synths stronger? compression? reverb? saturation?

i am using ableton btw, very versatile DAW and loving it so far.

Thanks guys!!

As for making your synth sounds stronger, it's a lot about those small fine tweaks inside the synth itself.
For example, that last adjustment of the lowpass cutoff, the weight of the filter envelope, as well as the filter decaytime can make or break a pluck sound. Likewise can the different oscillator levels make or break a supersaw. And so on.
Then you need to listen and try things out. A certain effect doesn't make a synth sound stronger just like that, but it can make it stronger if it makes the synth sound collaborate with the track in the way you want it to.
Some sounds may need a bunch of compression and saturation to make it more massive in context with a certain track, while another synth may just need some phaser added.

As for what instruments you can make, it's all about your creativity and imagination.
Just dive into it and have fun and you'll surprise yourself where you end up.

Just play with the controls on your synth. If you can't figure out what a particular knob does, look it up in the manual.
Start with oscillators and filters because what they do is intuitive. Move on to envelopes and LFOs, then look through the different effects.

Don't try and make specific sounds at first, just familiarize yourself with the controls and what they do as much as possible.

I'd also consider playing with other sounds than just synths...record random stuff and see what you can make of it - you don't really even need any fancy mics (it doesn't hurt, though) - I've even recorded a lot of stuff just with my Macbook's built-in mic. Samplers are great for sound design.

instead of working on multiple daws/plug ins to do sound design you might want to find just a few ones that work for your type of music. sound design is the key in electronic music but skrillex does majority of his stuff only on massive

Back