Tom roll then crash

M

MR808

Does anyone know how to make the tom roll sound that drummers make rite before the bigg cymbal crash. Usually on a 4 bar loop its around the last bar and third beat or so and rite around the 4 beat of the 4th bar there is the crash.

Listen to the Hot and Wet song feat Luda by 112.

Also, How do the big time produces put those scratches in there song by using only the keyboard, for example Rodney Jerkings uses it alot it sound like that same scratch sound from the triton . When I try using it, it seems to be either to fast for the song or it scratched to slow but Rodney Jerkins ride the beat like a live DJ.

Explain!!!!!!!!!!!

toms: just make sure you use at least 3 differently pitched toms to emmulate the setup of a real drumkit. If you want it to sound like allll the other tom rolls then highest pitch first, lowest pitch last... easy as that (yawn)

you don't always have to use highest pitch first/lowest pitch last. You can totally mix it up.

Definitely use 2-3 tom samples. There are hundreds of breaks. Try re-creating the break you're referring to taking note of the number of tom hits, pitches ect. Then add and subtract tom hits, move the different pitches around and try them starting on different beats(3, 3&, 4).

Regarding time and scratch sounds, you'll have to time expand/compress the scratch so it matches the tempo of the song. I'm not sure what record medium you use, but in Pro Tools there is a time compression/expansion plug that I'm sure is available on other recording hard/softwar. Isolate the sample and expand or compress it to what ever note value(1/4, 1/8, ect.) you want. If you look at your recorded scratch, it probably doesn't fit time wise.

Back