***Tips/Tutorials on creating (complex) melodies?***

Subtle-t

I searched google and youtube already but I'm wondering if anyone has any links to tutorials or could leave any tips on creating (complex) melodies. Are your melodies created from chord progressions or from playing notes up/down a scale? I definitely would appreciate any help on this topic. Cheers
:cheers:

All my tracks are based on chord progressions.

For example.

AbM7/Gm7/Fm7/EbM9

When AbM7 hits, I can use the notes in the Ab scale, when Gm7 hits, I can use the notes in the Gm scale, etc etc.

The trick is seamlessly weaving your melodic ideas and concept THROUGH each chord to the next AND resolve to whatever your ending chord is.

I'll post an example with these chords.

*genius at work* :D

HERE IT IS

This composition is called Mirrors.

Only 4 chords are used. AbM7/Gm7/Fm7/EbM9

What's going on in there?

All the notes in the string melody are adapted to the chords that the Pianet suggests, when that first AbM7 hits, BOOM my strings are playing Ab major scale notes, rinse and repeat.

Also in more complex chord based songs ehh....beetz. There isn't a straight melody as such as Usher's YEAH, or etc.

Most of it is freely interpreted improv in context of the chords, a la Kanye West's Late (towards the ending)

Also remember that there are certain phrases that I return too to give familiarity to the track.....

DONT FORGET THAT

Often times in novice Rap beats, the patterns and melodic/rhythmic statements last WAYYY too long.

That's the cardinal sin.

Hitz, you have clarified the relationship between chords and scales for me! I can't thank you enough. Btw, even though Mirrors was just used as an example (thank you for taking the time to post that and explain what's going on within the clip), it is raw!

I have read material on music composition and theory and was still unclear on the basic relationship between chords and scales and how they intermingle. ...."I can see clearly now".

I'm about to get out of work so I will send you that track we talked about within the hour. One

:D GREAT!

Ay, ya'll PM me if ya'll think I should seriously put together a Hip-Hop beat making course for sale.

Been thinking about it.

LOL I just made Mirrors about 5 mins after your first post.

Writing a hook to it now :D

Last edited by a moderator:
the best way is to try and do it by ear, just play what sounds good.. of course it's easier said than done, but listen to the great melodists (Lennon, Mccartney) etc. and then try and work out their melodies on a piano/keyboard. as you begin to build a good ear you will naturally play lines that are melodic. i have learnt SO much about music theory/melody/song form just from being a beatles fan. just a suggestion..

Last edited:
Took the beat off. Getting too many downloads on it.

this is the ultimate secret...

are you ready....

go to your vsti/synth in FL studio, click on it, click on "Func" (yes it stands for funcy), Now go down to Arpeggiator and click the button with the "?" square to the left of it. Open chord menu, and click on the one with the most complex/cool name. Hold down the C key (the one thats highlighted orange)

now.. all jokes aside listen to some soul, some jazz, techno, etc and get some melodies in your head, then pump em out! good luck

^^^this is what I have been doing but I don't want to rely on the arpeggiator function...using automated functions in FL isn't going to make me a better musician...if you want to hear a track with fire where the melody and bassline are arpeggiated, listen to the track on my page with Malice and Pusha (Clipse) vocals.

What do you mean by "complex"? Do you mean several melodies playing at once? Do you mean a more complex interaction between melody and chords resulting in more interesting sounds?

Anyone interested in improving their musical skills need to study musical theory, if you don't find yourself already making the best music you want to.

"Do you mean a more complex interaction between melody and chords resulting in more interesting sounds?"

Yes

It's not as simple as putting on Sheets Of Sound era John Coltrane and simply *learning* how to weave complex lines into the harmony.

You have to see where you stand melodically and harmonically and build on that. Can't start at the top.

A tried and tested way is to play more complex music written by others. For starters you can go to a library and borrow some sheet music, any jazz or classical will do.

Another way is to play a short melody, anything will do, with the right hand, while playing all chord you know with the left hand. Change chords at different beats, but keep the melody. Listen and figure out whats going on.

And most important, learn some musical theory. You want to look into chord progressions and resolution of dissonance. Almost all people who make interesting music have studied some musical theory.

hi all

planet hitz I pm'd you but you didn t answer have you seen my message?

creating melody

Hi;
You might want to try this for starters;
First learn the scale;and give each note a number.
EG
C Major
C D E F G A B
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
In most western music the melody usually takes its shape through 3s and 6s,
play a C as a bass note and see how easy the E or the A fits nicely with it.
The fifth is often used too,try C as a bass note with G.The result is the same;the two notes work well together.You can have the first as a melody too,
So if you had a progression say C ,A minor ,and G,you have these possibilities
Chord Melody
C CEGA
A minor ACEF
G GBDE
Theres loads more to learn other than this,but starting with your thirds and sixs is a good start !
Hope this helps

Last edited:
Back