Tips or methods you use for sequencing drums.

Yumid

So I actually used to drum (waaay back as a mini me from like grade 3-7) and have absolutely no problem imagining or even playing a drum beat in my head or in real life. But when it comes to setting up a drum loop in the step sequencer on software it just seems like I'm starting from scratch all over again. I don't know why, in theory it seems so simple to just lay the individual drum pieces out in the sequencer then match them all together, but it just doesn't work that easy for me.

I CAN do it, but I have to believe its easier than this haha. I don't really have a method, so it takes me a little longer than it should, its mostly trial an error of trying to get the sound I am making in my head or playing for real (recording my drum tracks in real time isn't an option right now)

Do you guys have a certain 'workflow' or "i start here then do this" when it comes down to specifically laying your separate drum tracks out on a step sequencer?

FL studio has a really nice visual sequencer for laying out drum tracks, its easier on there for me than most. But I don't use FL studio, and don't want to. Don't turn this into a thread about why I don't wanna use FL haha.

maybe you need to create some basic beat templates for yourself:

different patterns of kicks snare and hats that you can mix and match;

you would still need to add velocity and groove features to them but in the main this may offset your basic inability to think through what you are hearing in your head

checkout my drum programming tutes in my siglink

maybe you need to create some basic beat templates for yourself:

different patterns of kicks snare and hats that you can mix and match;

you would still need to add velocity and groove features to them but in the main this may offset your basic inability to think through what you are hearing in your head

checkout my drum programming tutes in my siglink
Good idea, I was thinking of just sitting down one day and doing nothing but making different drum loops just for practice. But maybe ill simplify it even more like you said and just make loops of each individual piece of the drum.
Ill check out your tutorials, I actually did yesterday but I didnt remember seeing a drum one. Lots of nice theory tutorials on there though.

I never get tired of telling people to watch masterclasses by real drummers on youtube. You can get the feel of how a drum is played, plus get some ideas as well. I personally love the marterclasses done by Mike Portnoy (ex- Dream Theater) and Mike Mangini (actual Dream Theater).

Also Marco Minnemann do som nice masterclasses as well.

I never get tired of telling people to watch masterclasses by real drummers on youtube. You can get the feel of how a drum is played, plus get some ideas as well. I personally love the marterclasses done by Mike Portnoy (ex- Dream Theater) and Mike Mangini (actual Dream Theater).

Also Marco Minnemann do som nice masterclasses as well.

Definitely gonna check em out. Spent all last night watching youtube videos on drum sequencing. My problem isn't really getting a feel for how a drum is played, I know LIVE drumming. Its programming them all piece by piece into the sequencer that throws me off a bit, just not used to doing it that way. Like I said I can do it, I just wanna be faster at it. Was wondering if there were any specific workflow tips you guys use for sequencing. Session View on ableton looks cool as hell. Gonna check out those videos tonight though.

Definitely gonna check em out. Spent all last night watching youtube videos on drum sequencing. My problem isn't really getting a feel for how a drum is played, I know LIVE drumming. Its programming them all piece by piece into the sequencer that throws me off a bit, just not used to doing it that way. Like I said I can do it, I just wanna be faster at it. Was wondering if there were any specific workflow tips you guys use for sequencing. Session View on ableton looks cool as hell. Gonna check out those videos tonight though.

I use Fl studio, so, as you alerady pointed out, it's pretty simple to make drum patterns on the step sequencer. But I normally end up sending the hits to the piano roll, as I think it gives more control over velocity and quantization of the notes.

As for "filling up" the pattern, I work by seeing it as a wall, with kicks and snares as foundation, and the rest of the sounds (hats, rides, crashes, toms and percussion) as bricks which will fill up the empty spaces.

I'm working on a drum and bass song right now, and decided to make things a little different: I started by making a pattern with a percussion line done in tablas (the indian instrument), and then placing the rest of the sounds.

So I actually used to drum (waaay back as a mini me from like grade 3-7) and have absolutely no problem imagining or even playing a drum beat in my head or in real life. But when it comes to setting up a drum loop in the step sequencer on software it just seems like I'm starting from scratch all over again. I don't know why, in theory it seems so simple to just lay the individual drum pieces out in the sequencer then match them all together, but it just doesn't work that easy for me.

I CAN do it, but I have to believe its easier than this haha. I don't really have a method, so it takes me a little longer than it should, its mostly trial an error of trying to get the sound I am making in my head or playing for real (recording my drum tracks in real time isn't an option right now)

Do you guys have a certain 'workflow' or "i start here then do this" when it comes down to specifically laying your separate drum tracks out on a step sequencer?

FL studio has a really nice visual sequencer for laying out drum tracks, its easier on there for me than most. But I don't use FL studio, and don't want to. Don't turn this into a thread about why I don't wanna use FL haha.

dude, why waste your time learning how to sequence. being a drummer from back in the day gives you such an advantage! you have the little tweaks and hits that takes okay drums to amazing drums. the little rythmn changes that a real drummer can learn from playing is amazing.

don't waste your time sequencing, i'd recommend buying some drum pads, drum machine(spark) or an electronic drum kit and play it! you can record loops quantized or not, as long or as little as you want or play live over your tracks. the only way to get authentic drums in my opinion

It depends a lot on the style you're making.
I have also played a little bit of drums in the past, I got to probably grade 6-7 ish before I gave up.
However, at some point ( I can't remember when) I decided that the function of the drums was to define the beat, so that the rhythms of everything else in a track can be totally crazy and it'll still sound good.
Really funky rhythm is very often a contrast between a rock solid core beat and a very syncopated other part.
This means keeping drum patterns very simple and elegant. I don't like to stray too far from the standard beats because they are so elegant.
I do use my rhythm knowledge in my music though. I actually use my drumming knowledge to write really syncopated leads or basslines.

That's my take on it anyway... you might prefer a different approach.

Last edited:
I use Fl studio, so, as you alerady pointed out, it's pretty simple to make drum patterns on the step sequencer. But I normally end up sending the hits to the piano roll, as I think it gives more control over velocity and quantization of the notes.

Yeah, I think that's the best option. Send it to piano roll, and move where do you only want - that can give you some cool swing on drums!

Back