Tips For Learning Music Keys

Alacritous

I know a very small amount of music theory, I know the entire F minor scale and c major that's about it. Do you guys have any tips for learning all the others lol.

Realise that all the musical keys operate with the same amount of intervals between each step. For example the difference between B major and C major is that C major is just every note raised by one semi tone. F Minor has all the same notes as Ab Major. The difference between them is simply the note which you choose to start from. Think of the scales as circular rather than linear.

Yesm the intervals are the same for all major scales, and the same for all minor scales.

• Major Scale: R, W, W, H, W, W, W, H
  • Natural Minor Scale: R, W, H, W, W, H, W, W
(R = Root Note, W = Whole Step, H = Half Step)

Also learn the finger placement for every single note on your instrument. It makes playing through the scales much easier and more fluid. If you're stopping at a note and thinking, "how to do I play this one...", you should stop and practice the correct finger placement on your instrument. The correct finger placement should, eventually, come naturally without too much concentration.

Last edited:
Back