Tips for first cd

AliobotQ

Hey everyone. Lately I've been bored out of my mind, so I thought I should embark on something huge, so I think im gunna attempt to make a 14 track long CD.

Does anyone have any general tips and ideas to help this process begin?
Im looking for anything, any kind of advice.

Im planning to have it done by July 1st. Ive set the date, I've decided the genre, I;ve got the equipment. Now all I have to do is actually take the time and concentration to sit down and get it done I think.

For those of you who have produced an entire CD yourselves, what kind of things should I excpect to encounter? What are something you guys had trouble with?

Well, thanks in advance anyone who posts. Hopefully we can keep this thread going so people with the same problem can just add on and on to this and make it one big badass tip emporium

peace

AliobotQ said:
Hey everyone. Lately I've been bored out of my mind, so I thought I should embark on something huge, so I think im gunna attempt to make a 14 track long CD.

Does anyone have any general tips and ideas to help this process begin?
Im looking for anything, any kind of advice.

Im planning to have it done by July 1st. Ive set the date, I've decided the genre, I;ve got the equipment. Now all I have to do is actually take the time and concentration to sit down and get it done I think.

For those of you who have produced an entire CD yourselves, what kind of things should I excpect to encounter? What are something you guys had trouble with?

Well, thanks in advance anyone who posts. Hopefully we can keep this thread going so people with the same problem can just add on and on to this and make it one big badass tip emporium

peace

You should seriously check out February Album Writing Month. You're just in time. The challenge is to complete an entire album in one month. I haven't done this, but I participated in its inspiration, National Novel Writing Month, where you attempt to write an entire novel in one month.

-Planning is key, but also the willingness to throw that planning out the window when you can do something even better/get better ideas/realize you are limited in a way you didn't know...often that's how the best ideas come...as corrections to original ideas.

-Start tracks that require outside collaborators early on...getting people in at the last minute on deadline can be a *****...musicians aren't always the best with time lines...

-Start your artwork early...Start planning a general theme, message, etc that will tie you album together. Play around with those ideas as you're writing and recording the album. This will hopefully inspire you in both ways. About half-way through the album make sure the artwok is in motion. Inevitably, you will have artwork issues...

-Shop around for duplication/replication prices/options before you're ready to send off, just so you're realistic about expectations and know the guidelines for you album artwork.

-Listen to music that inspires you...sonically, musically, lyrically, aesthestically...notice the different instruments, tones, techniques and find original ways to incorporate into your project.

-Keep things organized...in all aspects.

-Have fun...that's why you do this right?

-Get ideas from others (you're already ahead on this one)

-A last suggestion--and this is my personal way. But I like to record more songs than I need. you say a 14 song album...(which is exactly what I'm working on, presently) So, I set my target at 20 completed songs. this allows me to freely explore/experiment with my emotions/moods through all these songs without being to judgmental (muse killer). This allows different interpretations of similar themes, more wiggle room in case some of the material throws off the cohesion of the entire project. Near the end of the process I get more critical and begin to cut songs out. I also ask friends and strangers for their opinions to help narrow them down. Also, around this time, I start polishing the keepers off, if they're not already...

Hope some of this helps

Last edited:
Zion, Those were some of the best tips ive ever gotten. That was the exact kinda stuff I was looking for. Thank you!

Galacticboy - That sounds crazy! I couldnt imagine getting an ENTIRE album done in a month. Holy crap, thats crazy.

yea excellent tips. i happen to be working on my first solo album just to have it on record not to sale. Good luck fellas. lets keep it moving

AliobotQ said:
Zion, Those were some of the best tips ive ever gotten. That was the exact kinda stuff I was looking for. Thank you!

Galacticboy - That sounds crazy! I couldnt imagine getting an ENTIRE album done in a month. Holy crap, thats crazy.

Yeah, it is pretty crazy, but that's kind of the point. The severe time constraint forces you to set aside all the self-editing and just write, without thinking about whether it's good or bad. It's an excellent exercise.

AliobotQ said:

The White Stripes completed one in 3 weeks. And its pretty amazing.

Definatly set goals each week, like have so and so many songs done this week. If your doing all the production as well as the writing your self , what I am currently doing is writing all the songs then making the music to it. I used to always write to music but this time i went for something different.

Zion said it best... Planning is key!

I'm a firm believer in planning otherwise it's like driving a long unfamiliar road with no map. As a result a lot of valuable time and energy is wasted.

Also, Think outside the box when creating your music. Take the path less taken and come up with unique sounds, hot beats and honest stories. And just like every song has it's story, aim to tell an overall story for the album as well. As the album progresses, you'll start getting ideas for artwork. Be professional in everything you do and do your best to know everything about what you're getting yourself into.

Know your product!

Best regards,

Michael Ramirez

And when you're done (and a lot of people think it's good) go get it mastered by a professional.

Back