Tips on finishing tunes?

Deadwax

I have been having trouble finishing tracks since I started producing a while ago. I seriously cant finish tracks. I just get tired of them and I feel like theyre going nowhere. I get so frustrated but If i dont work on the track I start to feel like shit.. Ive finished like 2 tracks in total and theyre... OK? just not what I desire.. I use Ableton and I feel my workflow is great on it. Can someone give me personal tips on how they usually do it (or did it when they were starting out)? Cheers..

Not to sound harsh but if you can't finish tracks then your workflow is not great. But then maybe finishing tracks isn't what you should be focused on right now..

It's personal of course, but I'm all about keeping things fast, intuitive and training myself to get ideas down quickly (even if they suck.. it's still better than staring at an empty screen).
That way I stay completely out of the 'oh shit I'm so bored with this' phase and really productive. I'm pretty brutal that way, people don't like it when I tell them to suck it up and be a little tougher on themselves and their work.
But I apply that thinking to myself as well.. and I'm able to finish about 2 to 3 tracks a week this way, so there's that..

People like to act like creativity is some divine inspiration thing they have no control over.
I think that's bullshit. It's a skill you can train and get better at... unless you really are totally devoid of talent, but I don't think anyone is.

I mean.. I just start a track and call it done when I'm done. There are no tips anyone can give you for this. Keep plugging until you're satisfied

As a beginner...I think its most important to intentionally NOT finish tracks. Most people will disagree with me but its mostly what I have experienced and seen myself as a beginner.

For example...take me for instance. I have only been producing/making beats for 2 years now approximately. I have yet to finish a track. I mostly just have 4-8 bar loops of beats, synth leads, basses, chords and one shot type stuff that I have finished myself. I don't try and tell myself to finish a track.

My theory is...If you occupy yourself with trying to finish tracks and you haven't yet mastered the 'basics/foundation work' that is crucial...Than it can ultimately lead you to frustration, hurt and anger. Of which would ultimately kill your creativity and the FUN. Therefore...ruining your production dream/career all together.

Because I am not focused on finishing a track...I mainly focus on the basics/foundation work of music production...Like sound design, music theory, making strong/good melodies and chords, focusing on mixing techniques, training my ear for sounds that go together well and creating an efficient workflow that suits me.

Honestly...I just try to have FUN and not worry so much about finishing a track. Music production should be FUN. Case in point...I also snowboard as another hobby to past time and what not. In snowboarding culture...we have a saying..."the best snowboarder, is the one that's having the most FUN". And I think that theory/mentality is also the same for music production and the music/producer culture. I have heard numerous stories that say some of the world's best producers/bands/DJs/artists best songs/works...were mostly a result of them having FUN and not focusing on other aspects (such as a time restraint).

So...My advice is...don't worry about finishing a track. Just focus on having FUN, being creative and making mistakes. Finishing a track will come in due time...when ever that is. Don't limit your creativity/FUN by telling yourself you need to complete something.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Solid advice Chew Bear.
If you're not enjoying what you're doing, how can you expect others to enjoy it?

Here's bold idea.. if you're continually struggling to get things 'done' (whatever that may be), maybe you're trying to do the wrong things.
I mean, as much I love drum 'n bass, I can't make it. I can make the sounds, I make breaks.. no problem.. once you figure the tricks of trade, it's easy.
But I can't seem to pull those together in a good drum 'n bass track, it's just not in me. I'm constantly fighting my instincts to make everything loose and funky.
It only started to click when I started making a kind of hybrid of my experimental influences and (really kinda) simplistic dance music.

So, also go out and listen. You have no idea what's out there, you may be missing out on something that's way more awesome than anything you've ever heard.
And if you make dance music: DANCE!!!! You won't learn to make good dance music by sitting in a chair, that's for sure..

Back