time spent on one project

D

dylanf

hey guys i wanna know how much time the pros spend on just the producing of one track (Not the mixing mastering )
now i know it depends as some track take months to make
but im talking about the usual amount of days they take and how many hours a day just for making the stuff

For every answer you get there are gonna be multiple other answers that are months apart from it. The average would almost be too widespread to even say accurately (I know that contradicts the entire meaning of an average but you know what I mean, its too random to predict)

But either way, it wouldnt be hard for a seasoned writer to compose and have a track arranged in a few hours forgetting about mixing and mastering..but again, that can go all the way up to months. Its not really a question worth thinking about to be honest.

I watched an interview with Dillon Francis where he said he knocked out one of his big tracks in a day :/ I don't remember which track it was but I was a little taken aback. On the other hand, the process for creating Lean On took over a year, as DJ Snake, MO, and Major Lazer passed stuff back and forth and the track gradually came to a finished form. So I think it really depends on your genre and how attentive to details and sound design you want to be.

A lot of the really really big name producers make tracks in one day or less, I know avicii does. Alors en Danse was also made in a really short amount of time.
This isn't really because they're amazing genius producers, it's because they work on the philosophy of keeping it really simple.

On the other hand, some producers spend weeks on their tracks. It depends.

I think you cant tell like "how many days you spend?" but you can ask "how many total hours you spent?" its because you can start your new track today, make some patterns and drumloops, then you save it and goes back to your older projects, then after week you come back to this project etc etc. Thats why you can finish several of your older projects in one week or so. And it depends on genre, edm music is more complex than hip hop because of drop, break, verse etc. But most of hip hop is "verse, hook, verse, hook, hook". And 2nd verse is the same is 1st verse :) So DJ Mustard beats is very simple, he told in interview that sometimes he made 10 beats a day. But Timbaland beats is more complex, sometimes there is live ethnic percussion so it takes some time to record it, sample it, and make some loops with these sounds. But i dont think that complex tracks and many many sounds is good. If i want to dance to DJ Mustard tracks (1 bass, 1 lead, 1 drumloop) then i think its good, even if i dont understand english and dont know what lyrics)) For me sometimes its boring to make some simple beats and i am making more complex, but there is a chance that i never finish this track cuz i dont want to make that anymore and prefer to make some newer tracks)
Also it depends on how many hours a day you spend on music. If you dont have dayjob and your job is making music then its faster than if you spend on music 1-2 hours a day.

Back