Time Signature Question

Atar-E Beats

I've been trying to make a beat that recreates the feeling of Open Book by Gnarls Barkley, a song that rushes ahead of itself, but is still powerful. I've tried to lock down what the time signature of the song is, but to no avail. It's obviously not in 4/4 for most of the song, except for one or two bars after the chorus. If anyone could help me figure this out, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Song here:
Gnarls Barkley - Open book - YouTube

I'm trying to come up with something here. The beat in this song is so loose I wouldn't have ever put a metronome to it haha! What I've got though is 4/4 at 100 BPM. The rhythm for the drums I've come up with is very unconventional but it works perfectly. I wish I could post the midi here to help out. Best of luck though!

I'm trying to come up with something here. The beat in this song is so loose I wouldn't have ever put a metronome to it haha! What I've got though is 4/4 at 100 BPM. The rhythm for the drums I've come up with is very unconventional but it works perfectly. I wish I could post the midi here to help out. Best of luck though!

post the grid

Open Book Grid.PNG
It's best done entirely in 32nd Triplets. I've only done the dominant accents here though. I'm sure you can find the rest of the auxiliary hits and stuff from here. I hope this helps enough!

so as a readable table it looks something like this

123e23&23u23223e23&23u23323e23&23u23423e23&23u23
xxxxxxxxxxx
123e23&23u23223e23&23u23323e23&23u23423e23&23u23
xxxxxxxxxxx

Back