Is it time?

russwasherejr

Okay so i've been finally getting into music theory alot the last couple of months. But my problem is i've been using Fl studio and using my mouse to click stuff in for the whole track. My melody's sound very bland and boring. This is my problem.. i'm going to try to explain this the best that I can. If bandcoach reads this and replies then thank you! i'm sure i'm getting annoying by now. lol

anyways, I'll seem to lay out a melody but in the 2 bars that I use to write a melody I never really throw chords down so i've started doing that and using A minor also with that. Still for some really odd reason my beats just keep sounding the same. I've tried using different instruments as well. It's really frustrating, I been stuck at this rut for like 3-4 months now. Nothing I do sounds different anymore.

I've tried breaking down other people's stuff on youtube and it's confusing me too. I'm not too sure what to do that's left. What do you guy's recommend? My other thing I forgot to mention is, for the whole first bar of the beat in piano roll how it has the 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

what I usually do is on 1 to 2 I will use A-B-C-D-E all in that bar then back down to A on 3-4

am I doing something wrong?

Also, I just bought a midi keyboard which should be here tomorrow. Will this actually work better rather than using my pc keys to try and play a melody/chords/drums?

Last edited:
The keyboard should make a big diff. It's easier, in my view, to come up with something just playing around than just clicking (although they have some folks with click skill). I usually get my melody from scales, and often i can come up with something while playing or practicing scales. If i can get that, then i usually just use a common chord progression for whatever key its in and build from there. Although, i know some people build from chords. whatever works for u, but the keyboard should help a lot.

BC or someone else would do a better job on the bar issue. But to my knowledge u don't have to start you melody at a predetermined pt, its up to u. What mean is that some songs might just start with drums, bass, chords, efx (intro), and not get to the melody until 4+ bars in. Some tunes might start with melody, so its up u how u proceed. I think your melodies will sound better as u learn more theory and play (practice) more on a keyboard. my 2 cents.

Last edited:
yea i know a little bout how some stuff starts with drums and what not I meant how i'm putting my melody into the bars. I think i'm squeezing way too many notes into one bar. Notes that will clash with all chords I mean.

Last edited:
If your melody and chords are in the same key, it should not be a clash issue. On the piano you can play chords with your left hand and whatever melody on your right hand, just as long as the i chord and melody are in same key. Also keep in mind the chords, especially on another instrument (say piano, rhodes, organ), will prob have less presence than the melody or any other voicing. my 2 cents, but like i said someone like bc prob could give u a better explanation or elaborate further.

Last edited:
it's just baffling to see all these producers use nothing but white keys which has to mean there in a minor or c major and there shit never sounds nothing like mine. Lol. Maybe things will be different tomorrow when I get my keyboard. I'll upload something tomorrow and let you guys hear it.

it's just baffling to see all these producers use nothing but white keys which has to mean there in a minor or c major and there shit never sounds nothing like mine. Lol. Maybe things will be different tomorrow when I get my keyboard. I'll upload something tomorrow and let you guys hear it.
Que? What r u talking about?

Back