Thou shalt learn a little theory

Yumid

edit: BC: different first post to keep this thread alive after deleting the postcount bump spam that started it

5 star thread would read again.

Sticky please.

(But seriously, if you can play one scale there should be NO reason that you don't have every scale memorized, get 1, you get em all)

Last edited by a moderator:
No you don't and I do mean that seriously

I have a concordance of over 2700 scales (lots of duplicates admittedly as they have more than one name depending on the region they are named in), but even removing duplicates these reduce to 498 unique forms. then given that there are 21 naming notes that makes for a total of 10458 scales to choose from

as for being able to play being able to play them all in the one type of scale true for most stringed instruments, not so true for brass and wood winds, definitely not true on keyboard controllers of any type as the fingerings required to play vary with the starting note and the actual scale type

No you don't and I do mean that seriously

I have a concordance of over 2700 scales (lots of duplicates admittedly as they have more than one name depending on the region they are named in), but even removing duplicates these reduce to 498 unique forms. then given that there are 21 naming notes that makes for a total of 10458 scales to choose from

as for being able to play being able to play them all in the one type of scale true for most stringed instruments, not so true for brass and wood winds, definitely not true on keyboard controllers of any type as the fingerings required to play vary with the starting note and the actual scale type

You took that a lot deeper than I can even understand haha. I was just talking about the noob scales I guess. C minor, C major, D minor, D maj, E min, E maj...etc..etc. So a total of 14 scales hahaha.. Obviously I'm way wrong.

You took that a lot deeper than I can even understand haha. I was just talking about the noob scales I guess. C minor, C major, D minor, D maj, E min, E maj...etc..etc. So a total of 14 scales hahaha.. Obviously I'm way wrong.
Naah, just two scales--different keys.

that would be 24 keys - it is why Bach wrote the 48 preludes and fugues to explore each of the keys twice over

you forgot the other 5 notes (the black keys), but even then they are just two scales which can be actually 4 scales (major, natural minor, harmonic minor, melodic minor) before we look at modes (starting on a different note within the parent scale) making for a total of 21 scales and modes (the natural minor is a mode of the major) at the beginner level

edit
Keys would be

C
C#/Db
D
D#/Eb
E
F
F#/Gb
G
G#/Ab
A
A#/Bb
B

Last edited:
that would be 24 keys - it is why Bach wrote the 48 preludes and fugues to explore each of the keys twice over

you forgot the other 5 notes (the black keys), but even then they are just two scales which can be actually 4 scales (major, natural minor, harmonic minor, melodic minor) before we look at modes (starting on a different note within the parent scale) making for a total of 21 scales and modes (the natural minor is a mode of the major) at the beginner level

edit
Keys would be

C
C#/Db
D
D#/Eb
E
F
F#/Gb
G
G#/Ab
A
A#/Bb
B

thank you for your expertise man. u really know what u talkin bout...idk what ur talking bout...but i can tell u know what you're talking bout...one love

edit
Keys would be

C
C#/Db
D
D#/Eb
E
F
F#/Gb
G
G#/Ab
A
A#/Bb
B

haha man I was so far off. Like I was saying before my theory training is just beginning, LOTS to learn on that subject. Ive only made sure I had a grasp of the very basics so I can put melodies and progressions together. I cant waaaait to start the theory part in school, I've been slowly putting it off and putting it off to focus on other things we are learning right now. But I wanna get learning it more advanced soon right away here.

This is why I sample.
haha whats the fun in that

thank you for your expertise man. u really know what u talkin bout...idk what ur talking bout...but i can tell u know what you're talking bout...one love

lold

There is a crap load of scales which would prob take a lifetime to learn them all I've tried a lot of them just messing around trying to come up with new Melody's and such some are very useful some have me scratching my head life why did they make this scale..but then again if it serves a purpose why not. If nothing else learn major and all of the minors you should be good for a long time?

There is a crap load of scales which would prob take a lifetime to learn them all I've tried a lot of them just messing around trying to come up with new Melody's and such some are very useful some have me scratching my head life why did they make this scale..but then again if it serves a purpose why not. If nothing else learn major and all of the minors you should be good for a long time��

throw in the pentatonic and blues scale too. Good for adding color with synth leads.

I find music theory to be essential. Why not know why something sounds good, as opposed to not knowing? It will speed up your productivity because you know how to musically acquire an emotion out of a piece of music without taking too much time experimenting and figuring things out on accident.

Don't get my wrong, experimenting can be fun and I actually find it to be essential to evolve your sound, but sometimes you have a sound in your head and it's much more efficient to be able to immediately play it or something similar instead of seeking that sound through trial and error.

Back