These people could teach you a thing or two (a tip for who wants to learn theory)

TonyRotten

listen to "The Beatles" they shaped music of today even hip hop.study the chords scales they use.
I believe that they are the single most helpful composers to study when it comes to making mainstream music (as in not classical, jazz etc thats a different kettle of fish.)even though, it wouldnt hurt.

just thought i should mention them i dont see their name mentioned alot if ever!

^^ haha!

well, thats sorta where i was comin from. non-mainstream. when i read the initial post, my immediate reaction was that the beatles really have very very little influence on MY music personally. but then i saw the caviat of 'mainstream', and concluded that i agree. they are prolly one of the most influential forces on mainstream music. its just that there is a whole lot of stuff that is totally outside that realm, still.

that said, i think the gray album was a crock...haha....

peace.

TonyRotten said:
listen to "The Beatles" they shaped music of today even hip hop.study the chords scales they use.
I believe that they are the single most helpful composers to study when it comes to making mainstream music (as in not classical, jazz etc thats a different kettle of fish.)even though, it wouldnt hurt.

just thought i should mention them i dont see their name mentioned alot if ever!

You know what tony..when i first read this i was like "WTF" but then i open my mind and went out and got me a book that has 100 of the beatles songs in musical notation. I been teaching myself to play the piano and im fiending for something new to play. I guest ill gives these guys a chance cause i can always find the audio song so i can play long with. I guest in the long run i really may pick up something from them that could be good. So thanks man!

At first I laughed at this, because I thought...The Beatles...underrated?
Who the hell isn't up on The Beatles?

then I read these responses and I realized that there are actually people in the world that like music, that don't like the Beatles.

Seriously though the Beatles are by far a band that was from the underground to the mainstream. Greatest song writers of the 20th century, sonic wizards, and made hot beats! (Check the Beastie Boys "Sounds of Science")

If you can't find something to like in the Beatles, then you aren't listening. Or you are closed minded.

And the "Grey Album" is a banger...better than the "Black Album".

"99 Problems + Helter Skelter" = bangin'

yeah i had a feeling there would be comments.
i think the grey album is on par with the black album just 2 different flavours.

I would say listen to the revolver album.in particular eleanor rigby.
and especially tomorrow never knows, when you listen to this just remember it was made in 1966.

s**t they were the ones who brought sampling to the masses!!

earwizzle said:

If you can't find something to like in the Beatles, then you aren't listening. Or you are closed minded.

Co-sign

Last edited:
the Beatles shouldn't be overlooked. true musical geniuses.

Talib Kweli knows. check out his remix (prod. by Kanye) of a classic Beatles song, "All the Lonely People" the track is FIRE.

Tone.

bottom line...beatles are the ****.

they just know how to make memorable tunes.

they are so simplistic, simple beats, yet they are complex in their own way.

u can't teach that.

lol

_chris

if nothing else, something to take from it is the balance of experimentation with pop sensibility. IMO few bands have ever been able to hook a lister as well as the beatles.

another thing to consider is that although a lot of people site old soul/70's stuff as a heavy influence, realize that everybody and their brother did beatles covers... esp in soul, funk, pop, etc.

Although i wouldnt reccomend sampling them, I'd definately take note of how they hook, and what about the material has that effect.

-Lodger

TonyRotten said:

Weren't the Beatles mainly a cover band until almost the end of the height of their career?

then I read these responses and I realized that there are actually people in the world that like music, that don't like the Beatles.

Oh the horror!!!!! lol

Just kidding they did some interesting stuff with unusual orchestrations, borrowing from Indian music, unusal key/time signature changes (at least for pop)and they were at the cutting edge production wise (I read an artical about the mixing of strawbey fields, which was pretty wild).

But despite all that I can't say that I actually like them. And there's plenty of other even stuff to get my inspiration/learn from.

Oh yeah, someone mentioned early samples, well the mellotron (used in strabery fields) is considered by some to be the first sampler as each key played its own looped piece of tape with a sampled note.

the Beatles were not "mainly" a cover band, though they did do many covers on their early records.
By their third album "Please, Please Me" 1964 Lennon and McCartney had written all the songs.
One of the reasons they did many covers in the beginning was becasue there was so much demand for Beatles material and they couldn;t write songs fast enough. They released 6 albums between 1963 and 65.

But to call them "mainly" a cover band, is not accurate since they are best known as prolific and incredible songwriters.

Back