Is there a good way to learn scales by heart ? And what about chords and progressions

KlickBeats

Well my frineds I finally came to the ponint where I met my personl borders. I have always played the keys by ear but somehow now I feel like its really time to tak lessons or to somehow get really familiar with music theory.
So my question is, is any body here with a good step by step explanation of how to learn the keys efficiently, should I first learn the scales by heart ( whats the easiest way ) then the dfferent chords and in the end the progressions ( and how should I do that ) ?
I dont wanna look away on this problem and start using mainly samples and chop them up, because I would really love to play besides that.....
Thank you so much !!!!

Learn the intervals of the major scale and think of it in terms of tones and semitones rather than note names. The same with all the minor scales.

The modes you can learn from the major scale. But if you can think in terms of tones and semitones, you can apply this anywhere regardless of your starting point.

It's a lot more difficult if you try to think in terms of notes, this way even for the 12 major scales alone, you'd have to have a bad ass memory, whereas intervals are formed like 'shapes' or 'patterns' if you like in the brain, it doesn't matter where you start, the shape/pattern of a scale is a far better way to do it.

The same applies to chords by the way.

Delphine said:
Learn the intervals of the major scale and think of it in terms of tones and semitones rather than note names. The same with all the minor scales.

The modes you can learn from the major scale. But if you can think in terms of tones and semitones, you can apply this anywhere regardless of your starting point.

It's a lot more difficult if you try to think in terms of notes, this way even for the 12 major scales alone, you'd have to have a bad ass memory, whereas intervals are formed like 'shapes' or 'patterns' if you like in the brain, it doesn't matter where you start, the shape/pattern of a scale is a far better way to do it.

The same applies to chords by the way.

Exactly.

It's all a pattern; when I sit down at a piano, I don't think of a scale as notes, I just SEE the scale.

Back