Is there anything wrong with making type beats?

StanleySteamer

Hey guys as the title says, is there anything wrong with making type beats? It seems like for rap/trap obviously metroboomin, sonny digital, southside, etc those are the leaders of the game right now so would it be unproductive to make those type of beats? I have my own beatstore i am redoing my catalog of beats as I just started composing myself I used to be sample based. Just curious because I tend to make beats based off being inspired by another song so I try to make the beat like it but not exactly like it if that makes sense. I'm hoping in a month to re launch my website with brand new beats and hopefully generate more money and have more success than when I was sampling. Any thoughts or ideas on making type beats? And if you are a producer making type beats, how are your sales going?

I don't think there's anything wrong with type beats, it's what artists search for when they are looking for beats to use themselves.

I'd say it's the best way to get exposure and get some artists on your tracks. If you're just in it for the money, then sticking with a working formula will yield you the best results. HOWEVER, if you want to be well known and have your own spice, it's best to create your own formula. Of course, you can derive this by nitpicking from other producers and adding it into your own mix. But if you want to be an icon, a stand out, you have to make your own style in a genre like Trap.

It's kinda corny because everybody is doing it. Just be sure to give every style your own fingerprint or otherwise you'll sound like another watered-down Zaytoven copycat.
But as previous posters said it is a straightforward way to get noticed.

Hey appreciate the responses guys!

Lately I am having a hard time on that thin line between inspiration and originality. I feel like alot of my beats sound exactly alike or similar to other songs that I like alot and listen to frequently and I just as if that can't be good for producing and I wont ever get recognized or credit for that. Any advice?

Listen to three hours straight of any kind of music (other than hip-hop), then go straight into your studio and start producing something.

I dont think there is anything wrong with it but try to be original with your type beats. People like whats hot but try to make yourself stand out from the bunch through your music.

Find your own style and affirm that it is possible for you to survive in the music world
Find your own style and affirm that it is possible for you to survive in the music world

i always try to add my own twist if im making a "type beat"

ive been trying to recreate exact beats in the past though which can really help you improve

I don't know how to make type beats because I think it is utterly boring and there is absolutely no benefit unless you want to sell it to some starry eyed wannabe for $20.

If you're making type beats, don't go for the producer as the type, but the artist instead. so for example, don't make a Metroboomin type beat, make a Future Type Beat. Tailor your sound to the artists that you want on that song. I think that would yield better results

I feel like you are close enough to the artist personality wise to make a beat for them. Like type beats are good to learn from but they aren't really you. I feel like you will have better success as an artist if you make music for yourself(with your tastes in mind) then everything else just falls into place.

Back