Techniques You Use to Break a Creative Block

Battlegun

Hello Future Producers! I just wanted to pose a question on this forum: When you have writer's block in creating your music, what strategies in the past have helped you overcome them? Hopefully, your responses can help others surmount their own creative blocks.

As far as me, nothing beats good old exercise. I don't like sitting and focusing for too long on one project, so jumping around (when I'm alone at the house) keeps me focused for more creativity.

I agree with just about everything said here.

Exercise stimulates the mind and helps you see things in new ways.

For me, if I can't write. I just take a break.

Another good idea is to give yourself 2 hours to write a full beat. Write as much as possible in 2 hours without judging yourself then just stop and go back the next day. Who knows, sometimes "rushing" yourself gives you some of your best ideas because you aren't thinking too much.

I've never run into the issue. Just sit and create (forced or unforced). I could sit and make music all day everday. Now will it all sound great... no.. but still not blocked.

The whole rushing idea works. Make a beat quick melodies on melodies. Go back next day and pick out the best

I just go around and start punching random things in my DAW (Interesting chains, automation, sound design, etc.) until something clicks, Inspiration is not something u wait, it has to be ignited

listen to music, and try different approaches to making a track, if you usually start with a melody first, start with chords or start with the drums first, vice versa

Agree with a lot of the stuff here and was actually just reading about this here. The article had a couple of good ideas about trying different things.

3 Ways to Overcome "Beat Block" (i.e. Writer's Block for Music Producers) - Beat Building Blocks if you want to read

I think exercise is good - esp just going for a walk outdoors. That shit totally clears the mind and helps. But also I like having a pre-made set of like chord progressions or loops or something i can just throw in and start building around. That helps a TON.

Having writer's block implies that you're treating inspiration and creativity like it's some kind of deus ex machina, and it isn't.
Creativity is a skill you can train and (finding) inspiration is a job... at least in parts.
I generally don't run into it huge blocks, because I'm not a hippie and have a work ethic.
If you want to have music-making as a job, you damn well better start treating it like one!

Some simple rules, partly already mentioned:
-keep fit, stay healthy
-go out, see the world
-talk to interesting people
-enjoy other arts
-in general surround yourself with interesting and positive people, books, movies, things... (if you consume only shit, you'll produce only shit)
-show an interest in them
-be interesting
-get good so you're not limited by your skillset.

Back