Taking knowledge from one instrument to apply it to another...??

quantumleap

I know some of you play more than a few instruments..So I guess this applies to you guys..I'm looking for a little help, a push in the right direction if you will..

I'm still learning how to play the keyboard..I'm still learning theory while learning my way with the keys.... But say, I do also own an electric guitar. I havnt played it in years. I never even LEARNED how to play it..I mean, I remember like 2 chords, but I never took the time when I was younger to learn how to play, like I've been taking the time to learn the piano in recent times.. But could you direct me to a site, tutorial, reading, advice, etc about how to take the knowledge I have with piano, and applying it to the guitar?

I made a beat in D-Major.......was thinking it'd be cool to put some of my own guitar work in there, but really have no idea where to start..

I don't even know if theres a special way I would need to tune the guitar.. but its something I'd like to get into and incorporate into my music. So anything you have to offer will be greatly appreciated as I'm already looking forward to all the new information I'm about to come across relating to the subject.

Thanks,

QuantumLeap

Seriously there is so many sites out there that will take your money for offering you next to nothing.

Here are five that i have come across that offer freebies either a few (up to 24) or a lot (450). enjoy.

The hardest thing with this is that it will take time to get the fingers coordinated - we also use a different numbering system for fingering the guitar to piano/keyboards fingering (mainly the thumb does not have a number). the knowledge itself easily translates. tuning systems are many and varied, but standard guitar tuning is EADGBE thickest to thinnest; the B is the one below middle C. there are two (2) octaves between the thickest and thinnest strings.

Free guitar lessons : Complete Beginners Method and loads of Blues, Jazz and rock : Learn how to play Guitar free here!

Online Guitar Lessons

guitar lessons online

Online Guitar Lessons | JamPlay.com

Learn Guitar | Guitar Lessons Online | How To Play Guitar

For a good online tuner you go to the seventhstring website and use their application. Also, I recommend Purchasing The New Complete Guitarist by Richard Chapman, they cover a few basic theoretical and practical concepts.

And, if you cant use that online tuner, you can do it manually using any string that is tuned to the correct pitch. Use that string to tune others to theirs. The fifth fret of Bottom E should equal to the pitch of the fifth string, A. the fifth fret of A should equal D. 5 of D = G. 4 of G = B. And finally 5 of B = top E. To do this method your ears should be somewhat trained a little. Goodluck, dawg! And keep it creative.

Thanks for the links bandcoach..I will look at them, read them and learn as much as I can :)

And thats also why I asked here...Cuz even with learning piano...there are so many sites out there that you have to pay for material (which is not a bad thing at all) but I feel like some of them dont offer much, ya know? Much like you said.

and Sage, thanks for the info on tuning. I have a small korg digital tuner. I just wasnt sure if there was a special tune needed for particular scales and what not..but it seems you guys cleared that up for me and I'll be able to get in tune with the tuner I have.

thanks again guys

Back