Take Static noise out of saw patches

RuSty1

Hey guys, I really love saw waves and how some producers make them and I'm trying to put my own sound on a saw patch and use is in my music but when ever I make or use a saw wave I always get static kind of noise where as other can make them sound kinda 'furry' like. I don't know how to describe it but here is an example of a saw type of sound that I want to achieve ->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PALoIK7Tz3A at 0:33
Notice it doesn't have that sort of static high frequency sound to it. How do you get this? Here is what I've tried to do:
-Use an EQ8 (in Ableton just a regular eq) to shave off the static noise but it just sound like its been low passed and just losing the high frequencies
-Use a low pass in Massive
Both of the strategies I've used above both cut out that high frequency static noise but it just doesn't sound the same. How can I achieve this?

Post what you have so far?

Just detuning lots of saw waves tends to make them noisy.

I have a feeling it's not going to be to do with the post-processing but a more fundamental problem

I just had a play and I'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with EQ.

The main thing is to play chords that contain lots of notes at lots of different octaves- not just a simple three note triad all within one octave. Also, use more unison voices if you can

Change your midi to add some low notes an octave or two octaves below.

Also try adding some noise from the noise oscillator- I feel like the example you posted has more noise than the NGHTMRE tune.

Ok no worries. I've only just learnt music theory so I didn't want to go too crazy with the chords, still getting used to using chords and diatonic chords within a key. Is it still a diatonic chord if i drop a note an octave down? Also when writing chords should I always use diatonic chords? Also should I add white noise to it? Is that 'furry' kind of sound just white noise?

Last edited:
if you have reverb on your saw leads turn it down a good bit as sometimes the filter in the reverb can get very tinny if not setup correctly. also dont detune so much and if you are using unison detune keep it in around 3 or 4 setting and use chording to fatten up the lead instead. a simple saw with a bit of chorus detune can be enough at times depending on the sound youre aiming for

Ok no worries. I've only just learnt music theory so I didn't want to go too crazy with the chords, still getting used to using chords and diatonic chords within a key. Is it still a diatonic chord if i drop a note an octave down? Also when writing chords should I always use diatonic chords? Also should I add white noise to it? Is that 'furry' kind of sound just white noise?

It's still diatonic. It's still the same chord.
When you learn that a C major chord is C E G you should also appreciate that you can use any number of C's, E's and G's at any octave and it'll still be a C major chord.

I don't know what you mean by furry sound but white noise sometimes helps fill our supersaws. The other thing is not detuning too much, or using too much reverb.

Yeah I don't really now how to describe it but by furry I'm just referring to the NGHTMRE saw wave opposed to mine and the difference in the high frequencies but I think I'll try what you stated above: More chords with different notes in different octaves, smaller reverb, more unison and a little detuning. This has been great thanks for the help.

what you have sounds good to me. It's kinda like a house stab-kinda sound, so yeah it's a (Major) chord.

To me it sounds like to get those sort of altering effects in the example you posted, (like the punchy attacks and other modulations) is that they are resampling the chord they made as an audio file and doing further edits. I def hear some pieces being reversed and pitch envelopes being used. Theyre basically cutting it into pieces and adding various changes to the same sound to maintain interest.

Back